Scene 24

Liam was at the wheel, Alpha Dominic was shotgun, and Derek was in the back. They were slowly traversing the rough trail that would take them to the last-minute picnic. A Harvest Moon Celebration. First of its kind. Why? Because Dominic needed to re-ground himself and connect to his pack, to his future. It has been a hell of a week, and it hasn't been getting better.

"We have requested a breeder ceremony on the new moon in two weeks," Liam announced as he pulled over off the trail. There were a few other trucks, but many had to get here by foot.

"Congratulations. That's great news." Finally, he'll be able to use the team with less stress. They'll be more secure once their lineage is established. "I'm glad Rebecca worked out for you."

"We are not taking one from the program. We have selected our own. She may still change her mind, but we would rather be prepared."

None of his business. "Then I'm even happier for you. You would only do that if you found someone you are all smitten with."

An actual smile crossed Liam's face before he swung open the door and exited the Humvee. Guess he was right.

Blankets were scattered about haphazardly through the clearing with groups of families and friends clustered together. Beta William was off to the right, his gamma in the back. It was refreshing to see the chaos of this event break down the rigid structure of hierarchy.

A blonde here, a blonde there. But where is she?

Sophia's scent has been changing and others are noticing. It's not just that her wolf is coming on. There is a spicy undertone that although the wolves around him haven't picked up on it, his dad did; The only other lycan to come across her recently.

She is giving off the scent and pheromones that only a breeder of lycans would give off. Normally a difficult pregnancy, as his own mother would attest to, there is rare abnormality that she seems to be developing. An epicervix is accommodating to the unique requirements of his beast, and chances are she has one.

If this gets out and she isn't claimed, it will be hell to keep her from falling victim to another lycan's need to leave a legacy.

As if he could manifest her scent from his memory, a familiar spice hit him. Following it, he found her. She's with her friend, Sarah. A smile stretched across her face and bright white teeth glowed in the quickly dimming light of the setting sun. Her hair was catching and reflecting the warm tones of sunset.

His hand was in his pocket, rubbing the same piece of silk he brought with him everywhere now.

She's too young to be an actual breeder, but he could still have her assigned. At least that would afford her protections.

Was his own well-being getting mixed up with hers? Did the recent rejection by his mate leave him at a loss for creating a better plan?

She wants to stay in school. She is being noticed. If Sophia is to have any life, it would have to be under his protection or at the will of someone else.

He would offer her the role of breeder. It doesn't matter that twelve years ago she was promised to him. He would not take what she didn't willingly offer.

The E6 are getting their breeder assigned in two weeks, maybe that is the right time for him too.

"If you'll excuse me," Liam looked to both Alpha Dominic and Derek before backing away. Soon he was making his way towards a tall female with light brown hair and a perfect physique. She didn't have anyone to join as she has been secluded from the pack for ten years now and no longer has any interest in the breeder program.

"Rebecca."

She looked over to the black-eyed fighter, the one who told her they would not be needing her services in the way she initially offered them. Since that time, she has been able to wear normal clothes and relax. Athleisure, they called it. And she was made for it. Her leggings hugged her three foot plus inseam and perfect hips. The tank top was cut low enough to show off the top of her bosom. Although another female would look messy, she looked positively badass.