The Candy Man Can

“God Okuyasu! This place is filthy!” Yumiko exclaimed as she, Josuke, and Okuyasu looked through his old and abandoned family home.

“Well I haven’t lived in it since my old man was taken into care,” Okuyasu replied, “squatters and such like to hide in here.”

“So first thing’s first, we need locks and we need to start cleaning,” Yumiko said, “we’ve got a few months until Ivy and Aurora move to Morioh and you need a house. Josuke, you go through and pick up the garbage, I’ll sweep and get rid of debris, Okuyasu you look for broken glass and furniture, then find some locks for the doors.”

The two men nodded, Josuke taking a garbage bag from Yumiko.

The three wore masks to keep themselves from inhaling dust and other particles in the house, Yumiko especially as sweeping kicked up dust from the ground into the air.

Josuke picked up cans, wrappers, and newspapers among other things, and Okuyasu swept up broken glass and gathering the old crumbling furniture into one room.

“Hey Yu!” Josuke shouted, “I had an idea!”

“What is it?” Yumiko asked.

“Well, Crazy DIamond can restore things back to their original state, I wonder if we could use him to restore some parts of the house? Like windows and stuff?” Josuke suggested.

“That’s actually a pretty good idea, could save some money too, go ahead and try,” Yumiko said, stepping back with Okuyasu to observe as the glass suddenly floated back into place, seamlessly becoming one, “it’s still creepy to watch considering I can’t see either Crazy Diamond or the hand,” Yumiko added.

“But it’s pretty helpful!” Okuyasu exclaimed.

—------------------------------------------------------

“So next thing we need to do is check on the roof, make sure it’s stable,” Yumiko said, “which one of you want to go up?”

“Not it!” Okuyasu shouted.

“Fine, how do I check the roof?” Josuke asked.

“Look for missing tiles, fix it up, crazy diamond might be helpful. I’m going to the basement to check the foundation, Okuyasu can see if the windows need to be sealed.”

So the three split up, Yumiko checking the beams in the basement for any rotting, Josuke looking at the roof, and Okuyasu checking the windows.

“Ok so I have good news and bad news,” Yumiko began when the three met back in the house, “the beams are rotted, completely, my theory is that a pipe burst and soaked the wood and it started rotting over time, the good news is that one of my students has parents who own a contracting business and they owe me a favour for tutoring, I can call them in tomorrow to take a look at the house and send some guys down, so for now we need to stop.”

“Couldn’t I just use Crazy Diamond?” Josuke asked.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea, I don’t want to mess with the foundation of the building.”

“Fine, call your student’s parents,” Josuke grumbled.

—------------------------------------------------------

A few months had passed since the three began working on the house, and finally the structure was ready to be painted and decorated.

“This is too difficult!” Okuyasu groaned, piled of paint cards stacked up on Yumiko and Josuke’s kitchen counter.

“Okuyasu you can just paint everything white and change it if Ivy wants to paint it a different colour,” Yumiko explained.

“I don’t want her to have to do that though! I want everything to be perfect!”