Investigation

I woke up with a tightness in my chest. The events of last night weren't sitting well with me and I wanted to fix things before the rest of my day was ruined. I didn't like this feeling and cursed myself for getting involved in the first place. I didn't like to complicate my life and it seems that Ana managed to do just that.

I picked up my phone hoping to see a missed call or message from her but nothing was there.

At least not from her.

My A/CEO sent me an update from work and I had messages from Luka and Kate. I decided to read them before getting up to get ready.

L: hey thanks for leaving me without a ride. Some friend! We still on for later?

I sent a quick response

M: you're old enough to find your way. I'll get back to you but should be good. Later.

I massaged my temples trying to rub the headache away. I took a deep breath as I opened the messages from Kate.

K: you left without me. I thought we were ok and you just left. Where are you? Come back and get me!

K: you're a self-absorbed bastard. Go fuck yourself.

K: you don't deserve me. How could you be so mean? After everything I gave you.

And then another one from this morning

K: Marcus. I need to talk to you. Just please call me. I'm sorry.

I deleted the messages. I didn't want them there and didn't want to see them when I opened up my phone. I put the cell down and got up to use the bathroom.

As I was washing my hands I heard it ring. I slowly walked towards it feeling extremely annoyed and expecting it to be Kate. When I saw that it was Ana I almost dropped it while trying to pick up. I connected the call and heard the sobbing.

"Ana. Ana calm down. I can't understand what you are saying"

I could hear her trying to calm herself with deep breaths.  She gave me a rundown of what just happened and I found my blood boiling. I told her I'd be at her hotel within the hour and luckily she didn't notice that she never actually told me where she was staying. I was hoping she wouldn't remember that slip-up.

I know I said I didn't want complicated. But fuck it, they crossed so many lines and she needed someone in her corner so I called my guy from last night.

"I need your help. I'll pay you double your rate. I'll pick you up in 30 minutes" I hung up and didn't give him a chance to reply and say no.

I quickly brushed my teeth and got dressed. Since I'd have to stop by the office today I put on a suit and headed out the door to grab Michael. 

As I pulled up to Michaels's apartment I quickly shot him a text saying I was outside. I've been steadily involved in Michael's life since he was about 10 years old and tried to be a somewhat positive role model. I've known his mom for most of my life and, when she reached out about her sons' legal troubles, I stepped in.

Michael was considered a child prodigy and excelled at computers. When he was 10 he thought it would be funny to hack into some important people's personal information and post it online. He was too young to be prosecuted, but not too young to be sued. Child services got involved as well and it was a shit show. Since then, I've Employed him and kept him busy. He was truly one of my best assets.

I filled him in about Ana's troubles and I could see the wheels turning in his head. He was already coming up with a plan and saw him smirking as he pulled out his laptop. He started searching for some stuff and I concentrated on the road.

When we walked into the lounge I saw Ana sitting in a booth sipping coffee. She was breathtakingly beautiful but also looked so fragile. It seemed like she dropped at least 5-10 pounds in the last few days and I was sure it was due to stress. I didn't like seeing her like this and for the second time, in the last 48 hours, I had an overwhelming urge to protect her.

We sat down and she gave me a weak smile. You could see her eyes were bloodshot and extremely puffy from crying. I introduced Michael to Ana and explained the role he would play in this revenge scheme. Well, Michael called it the "get revenge on the psycho bitch scheme" I kept it more civil and used the term "fact-finding".  Ana laughed at Michaels's comment and it was nice to see her laughing. I could see a hint of hope in her eyes.

The waitress came by and we ordered 2 more coffees and 3 full breakfasts. Ana tried to refuse, saying she was too stressed to eat, but I told her she needed to eat if she wanted help. She relented and ate a bit.

I instructed Ana to go grab her stuff from Her room and informed her that she would be staying with me for the time being.

"I have to go into the office for a bit today but Michael would be spending the day with you. He will require information, account emails, work emails, etc etc".

" Fine, but I need to stop by my vehicle and grab my stuff, including my laptop" Ana responded

"My driver will go pick up your car and have it there for when we get back" I sent her upstairs and settled the bill. While she was grabbing her things, I asked Michael about the plan at this point.

"Well, some steps will be simple, I'll check her emails and retrieve any deleted items.  She can cross reference them as we go to see which ones she sent and which ones weren't hers. I can check to see which computer was used and what profile was logged on before the emails were sent. I will check her accounts and see if there were any weird payments deposited into them, and check other correspondence. See if I can access any of the complaints. She will need a lawyer, and someone good, to get ahead of this. I can find everything out but we won't be able to use it in her defence if I do so illegally."

I nodded and dialled my Lawyer. I told him to be at my house in 30 minutes and we stepped out into the lobby to wait for Ana. A few minutes later she came down and checked out. We got back into my car and made our way home.

"Here is where I leave you guys. And, here is a copy of the key to my house. The alarm code is 0866. My lawyer should be here shortly and the doorman knows to let him up. I will be home sometime after lunch" I gave her a half smile and she exited my car with Michael.

Before driving off I pulled out my phone and read the texts I received earlier today from Cole. He requested an in-person meeting at the office but did not elaborate on what he wanted to discuss. I drove away looking forward to this, Cole didn't know it yet but he had a large part to play.