Keeping a Cool Mind

The Second Watcher kept his eyes fixated on the sea below. It was quiet. Almost time to begin the watch. A pair of footsteps behind him made him lose his focus. He turned to see his daughter, Caramel Arrow Cookie. “Caramel Arrow!” He exclaimed in surprise. “What are you doing here? I told you I can handle this.” He said with a smile, hugging her. She chuckled back, shedding a bit of the tense energy she had earlier. “And where is your uniform?”

“Sorry, dad.” She separated. “I just wanted to clear my head for a bit.” She paused. “And.. my uniform is drying. It got wet.”

The Second Watcher’s eyes narrowed. “Well how could that have happened? What got on it?”

She sighed, going to the edge of the wall and leaning over it. “That’s kind of connected to me wanting to clear my head.” She turned to him. “I had a frustrating start with Affogato Cookie. He was the one who spilled coffee on my uniform.” Her smile disappeared as she spoke. It was chilly, as always, but it made her skin feel alive.

He hummed in response, putting a hand on her shoulder. He was frowning. “If he isn’t going to appreciate your service, then ask the king to get another cookie to help the lord.”

She let out a quick breath, closing her eyes. The white smoke dissolved into the air. “I’ve thought about it, but no.” She already was doubting herself. But she couldn’t. She wasn’t going to give up so easily. She opened her eyes, looking into the Licorice Sea’s abyssal water. “I need to stick to what I promised.”

“Caramel Arrow, if he continues to disrespect you further..” He paused, unsure of what to say after. His teeth clenched together.

“It’s okay, dad. I promise.” She pushed herself off of the wall’s edge. “I don’t need to go back to him until tomorrow, so I would like to be out here with you.”

The Second Watcher let out a soft sigh, relaxing his nerves. “You’re always welcome, Caramel Arrow.” He joined her side, looking down at the sea. “But are you really sure about Lord Affogato Cookie? I know you and him have always quarreled.”

“I’m sure.” She looked at him. “The king ordered me to be kindly towards him, so I will. It would also be nicer to be in the citadel if he wasn’t always getting on my case. I want him to feel, at least, neutral towards me by the end of this.”

He hummed deeply. “You are always so loyal and compassionate, Caramel Arrow.” A smile came to his face. “I’m so proud of the girl you came to be." He touched her face with his cold, bare hand. "I believe you'll do it."

She chuckled a little bit. “Thank you, dad. I'll try my hardest."

He nodded. “I'll always be here for you if you need my advice. My vow to the kingdom is the same to you. Till the very last crumb.”