Thinking it Over

"What do you suggest, then?" Caramel Arrow asked.

Affogato and her were strolling along the walkway surrounding the center of the citadel. They were the only ones there, fortunately. Everyone else was busy at the center, doing things together. As they walked, he looked to his right at her. "Simply, that we send someone else there."

"But that would just take longer, you know? We want to put an end to this fight as quickly as possible."

He gave a disapproving frown, although it wasn't meant for her. Rather, it was meant for the two tribes that were arguing. It was foolish to have a battle when it is already hard enough to survive on a day to day basis. He knew what that was like, too. They were simply wasting their time. "Yes, but.." He sighed, pausing. "Sending you alone worries me."

She smiled softly at him at that. "You're so sweet, Affogato." Their pace slowed down a little. "What makes you so worried? You know I'm as strong as anything that could get in the way."

"Yes, of course I know that." He looked at her, and they fell to a stop. "But these aren't normal circumstances. I-.." He sighed, looking away from her. "Caramel Arrow, I would like to ask you a question."

She nodded, even though he couldn't see. "Of course you can. You can always ask me anything."

He let out a breath through his nose. "Are you over your father's death, yet?"

Caramel Arrow felt a little surprised by that question. Instinctively, she looked towards the large tree at the center of the citadel. Up at the two stars. "Well.. yeah." She looked back at him.

He frowned. "Think about it more, Caramel Arrow. You may feel fine about it now, but guilt, or something, could come gnawing back at you. Sure, you feel good right now cause of.." He barely prevented himself from laughing. "Us. But that doesn't mean you're truly fully over it. I don't want you to be alone while that is still uncertain." He put his free hand on her shoulder.

She felt her heart soften and she smiled. One of her hands gently touched his hand on her shoulder. "Affogato.."

"That is why I think you shouldn't go." He said quietly.

She let out a soft breath through her nose and threw her arms around him. He hugged her back. "Affogato.. I understand how you feel, but.." She melted into his arms. "I really want to do this. Even if I feel bad, I promise I won't hurt myself, or anything else. I'll come back safe. Okay?"

He put his face into her long hair. He let out a small sigh, the two swaying gently together. "I guess that loyalty to the kingdom will never waver, will it." She giggled at that. "Do you truly think that you'll be okay?"

"Yes, Affogato. I do."

He hummed

He hummed. There was silence for a little longer. "Okay." He said quietly, finally. "You can go, but," He separated a little to look at her face, her eyes. "Wait three days. I want to make sure you're mentally well before you take off. I will tell the king to have a backup group at the ready to leave, in case you're upset that day."

She smiled. She went back into him again, holding him close. "Thank you, Affogato."

He sighed and kissed the top of her head. "Just make it back safe, okay? That's all I care about."

-

The art used in the cover and in this chapter are made by @ convallariadrgn on twitter

https://twitter.com/kat_sune/status/1585280609202491392?t=7Z152ZrJiKzUcDUFZPZqRw&s=19