Thirty- Six

S:

I spend the next couple of weeks trying to open myself up to Vic. It's hard, but I really try to get to know him, understand him and even create some sort of feelings for him. We start hanging out throughout the week, and on my weekends away from the kids.

The problem is Lindsey... it's always Lindsey.

I have to stop thinking about what could have been and what I thought was supposed to be. I realized that I could potentially throw myself at Lindsey in a way that I haven't before, but then I figured that, that's kind of insane.

He's getting married sometime in the near future, so I need to back off. I need to understand that our Sunday morning family dates in my bed, sweet comments, and light flirty giggles just can't last forever. It's life and we haven't actully been living in the real world lately- at least, I haven't.

~~~

"Did you get them down?" Vic's standing in the kitchen doorway, holding two glasses of wine.

Nodding my head, a small smile rolls across my face. "I did, yes." I trail towards him, taking the glass of wine out of his hand gently.

We went to dinner and only minutes after we stepped into the house, Lindsey pulled down the driveway with the kids. Luckily, Lindsey just walked up to the door and didn't come in. I'm not ready for them to meet, even though I know it's probably the right thing to do. Like I've said, I would be pissed if he had a girlfriend that I didn't know, so I can assume he isn't all that thrilled with me, only because he knows about Vic but hasn't met him.

But the thing is, I don't know what Vic and I are, so introducing him to everyone seems a little ridiculous. With Lindsey it was different, because I knew no matter what, he'd be around for the long haul. I don't know where Vic and I stand, so for the time being, the kids even knowing him is a little too much for me as it is.

"I had such a great evening," I smirk lightly, guiding him into the living room.

"So did I," his arm circles my waist, stoping me in my tracks to pull me into him a little more.

Letting out a soft laugh, I toss my head back.

"You're so beautiful, Stevie." He whispers into my ear, which immediately causes my cheeks to turn a bright shade of red.

Turning in his arms slowly, I set my glass of wine down on the stand. Looking up at him, my hands both land on his cheeks to look into his eyes.

I think it's the words that do it for me. Beautiful, gorgeous, pretty- they all mean something to me.

"You're so beautiful." He repeats as he begins to sway me back and forth.

Without much thought, my head meets his chest as we slow dance in the living room.... for a moment it feels right.

It feels like this could be it. This could be what I've been looking for and what I need. Maybe it is time to settle down... And Vic is a good candidate for that. He's stable, he's a little older, he's funny, kind and we don't argue at all.

For a split second, I think I've found the one... except I'm not at all in love with him.

And then the sound of two little feet, pitter pattering down the hallway causes my heart to sink.