Forty- Five

Months later

L:

Slowly wrapping my arm around her waist, I pull her in a little closer. "Happy birthday to you," I sing softly, lips meeting her bare shoulder blade. "Happy birthday, beautiful woman. Happy birthday to you," I chuckle quietly as I feel her start to shift in my arms.

"Oh, please." She grumbles, trying to pull the comforter over her head. "Don't remind me," She groans, sinking further into the bed lazily.

"Oh, come on, baby." My hand slowly creeps up the blankets, pulling it back down to see her face.

Her hair is a complete mess, tangled and fluffed up awkwardly. She's still beautiful- the most beautiful woman I know.

"I don't like getting older..." She admits the obvious... no one likes getting older.

"But when you age as perfect as this," my hand meets her face once again, slowly running my finger from the top of her forehead, around the circumference of her face. "Getting older shouldn't mean much." I have to remind her that she's still gorgeous- fifty- four and all, she can still turn heads.

"What time is it?" She slides up the bed, allowing me to caress her bare thighs under her silk nightgown. "It's only six in the morning..." She lingers, looking back down at me with a smirk on her face. "Any particular reason to wake an old lady up at this hour?" She whispers, biting down on her bottom lip gently.

"I just want to spend as much of the day as possible, celebrating you." I linger, carefully pushing some of her blonde hair back behind her ear to see her sweet face a little better.

"Linds..." she let's out a soft sigh. "I'm closing my eyes again." She smirks playfully as she gently pats my arm.

Nodding lightly, I can't help but chuckle. "I love you,"

"I love you..." she mumbles as she slowly slips back into a deep sleep.

~~~

"Shh, babies." I whisper lightly, following them down the hallway to the bedroom. "We want to surprise mommy, remember? We don't wanna scare her." I remind them, a soft chuckle escaping me.

"How old is mommy?" Hudson creases a brow, carrying the flowers he picked out for his mama last night.

"Mommy said you never ask a girl that," Helena shakes her head as she totes around the teddy bear that she thought Stevie would love for her birthday. "It's rude..." she adds with a scrunched up nose.

"Lena's right- we don't talk about it." I don't want them to say anything that's typical for a five year old... using the word old probably wouldn't make Stevie feel all that confident this morning.

And that's not what we want. We don't her to be sad that she's another year older... We want her to be happy. Happy that she woke up this morning to a group of people that love her more than anything in this whole world.

She's the center of the universe for these kids and I, which is why we have to remind her of that, especially today.

"It doesn't matter," he shrugs, stopping just short of the bedroom door. "She's so pretty anyway." He assures, a sweet smile on his face.

"She is," I chuckle as I let my finger tips meet the door to push it open slowly.

After her light snores began to fill the room a couple of hours ago, I slipped downstairs and spent the morning in the kitchen- a place I'm not used to. But with Helena reminding me how her mother makes French toast.... she likes syrup, daddy. Tons of syrup, things run a little smoother.

"Happy birthday!" They both start shouting it, not extremely loud, but loud enough to make Stevie stir.

Letting out a faint yawn, she brings her hand up to her face to rub her sleepy eyes.

"Mommy, daddy made you breakfast!" Lena tells her, one hand falling on Stevie's face to kiss her nose.

Letting out a gentle laugh, Stevie moves up the bed. "Thank you, babies." She takes both kids in her arms quickly, giving them kisses right back. "Is daddy gonna come sit with us?" She asks, lips still pressed softly against Hudson's head.

I nod, smiling as I head towards them. "Be careful- it's kind of hot." I announce, which sends both kids moving to the other side of the bed so I can set the tray in her lap.

"Daddy can't cook, did you know that?" Helena creases her eyebrows, almost stunned by that.

"Oh, I know, honey." Stevie brings her cup of coffee up to her lips, giving me a light wink. "But I always appreciate his wonderful efforts." She looks so perfect this morning.

The way the sun catches all of her facial features is almost mesmerizing to me. She's effortlessly stunning- always.

"What does mama wanna do for her birthday?" I lean back against the headboard, wrapping an arm around Lena.

"She wants to go swimming!" Hudson's eyes grow wide, probably praying Stevie caves.

She lets out a little giggle, reaching out to cup his face with one of her hands. "That's exactly what I want to do, baby."