Chapter 61

Luca's POV

It broke my heart to see Echo begging me not to leave. I didn't want to but I needed to do something. I needed to do it for her. I needed to rip Arturo's still-beating heart from his body, and I don't mean that figuratively. I needed to stab him a thousand times even after he was dead. I needed to pull his eyes from their sockets so he couldn't see the torture I was going to put on his body, only feel, hear.

I needed to burn him alive, I needed him to suffer for what he did to her. I'd been torturing him ever since I found Echo. Starving him, only giving him enough to stay alive, just like he did to her. Beat him every day just like he did to her. He didn't even look like himself when it was over.

I'm not quite finished with my revenge. Even though Arturo is gone, I still have to deal with Detective Fuller. I have to make her suffer too. After all, she played a big role in Echo being auctioned off.

Right now, I'm driving home, I don't know how I'm going to get past Echo with all of this blood on me. For the past month, she's been in a hospital bed, now she's up and moving around, curious about everything. To which I am more than grateful.

I pick up my phone to call Dario. I need to speak with Echo. I told her it would only take me 2-3 hours. It's been at least 5.

The phone only rings for a few seconds.

"Hey uhh, Echo needs to talk to you. She's been crying nonstop since you left. She's really worried."

"I figured. Give her the phone."

Dario leaves whatever room he's in the takes the phone to Echo. Once she gets on the phone. I can hear the pain in her voice, though she tries to hide it.

"Luca, where are you?"

"On my way back to you."

"You said 2-3 hours." I hear a bit of anger in her tone.

"I know, I know. I lost track of time."

"I thought something happened to you. The way you were talking when you left, it scared me." Her voice cracks.

"I'm sorry, Echo. I didn't mean anything but what I said. You read too much into it," I chuckle to lighten the mood.

She takes a breath. It's serene and full of relief.

"I love you. Give the phone back to Dario, please."

Seconds later I hear Dario's voice.
"She's really...I don't know how else to say it...broken. I've never seen her like this before. Luca, she was bawling her eyes out on the floor crying for you. She was never like that before. I remember when she hated you," he chuckles.

I will never leave her again.

"Yeah, I remember too. Tell her I'll be there in about 5 minutes, but I need a favor. I'm covered in blood and I don't want her to see me like this. Keep her in my room."

"Okay, that shouldn't be a problem. She and Vic haven't left that room all day."

"Alright thanks, Dar."

"No problem."

•••••

When I arrive home. I sneak into a guest room to get cleaned up. I only take off my bloody clothes and rinse my body with soap. I need to be presentable enough to see her before taking a shower. If I shower right now, she'll definitely have questions as to why I showered before seeing her.

I have Dario bring me an identical suit to the one covered in blood and I make my way to my bedroom. All this, and it's worth it if she doesn't have to worry. I'll tell her he's dead, but I didn't want her to be even more traumatized by seeing me covered in his blood.