Chapter 17

By the time you get to Owen's place, it is a little after 6:00 PM. You knock first then use your key to open the door. From the kitchen, you can hear Owen say, "It's about time you got here. I've been waiting for you forever."

You put your things down by the front door and walk into the kitchen. You reply, "I'm sorry. One of the cases is going to preliminary hearing tomorrow and there was a lot of prep work that had to be done. But now I'm here and will not be thinking about work."

"Come here, young lady. Give me a hug."

You embrace your friend tightly and ask, "How was your day?"

Owen replies, "Oh, you know. A little of this and a little of that."

"That sounds awfully suspicious. What is going on?"

Chuckling, he says, "Guess who came to see me today, asking about you?"

"Oh dear... what did he ask?"

"Tanner wanted to know when you were coming back from your work trip."

"I told him I would be back early next week. Why didn't he just text me?"

"I think the boy is walking on eggshells. Don't want to push you away or act too needy."

"So, what did you tell him?"

"I told him you'd be back by Monday. Now, I'm not sure if he is worried that you'd just cut ties and move on, or if he just doesn't like the fact that there is a woman out there who doesn't worship the ground he walks on."

"Oh... Owen. Give the guy a break. Imagine being in his shoes. I really felt bad for him when I pulled out the underwear out of his couch. I really think that a girl he had been seeing, planted it there just for that exact purpose."

"You sound like you are sweet on the boy."

"He didn't seem like a bad guy, and you said he was a good guy. I told him I would, so I'll give him another chance."

"Damnit, Darlin. You are way too nice and understanding. C'mon. Let's eat. I'm hungry."

"Me too."

As the dinner progresses, Owen looks over at you and asks, "Why do you look like someone let the air out of you tonight? Did something happen at work?"

"Nothing happened at work. I spent the entire day working on the case for tomorrow with Jimin and he was completely appropriate. Whatever that may have been going on, he really got a handle on it and moved on from it."

"And that's making you look like someone poisoned your cat..."

"I don't know why. This is how things should be."

"I know why. You liked him, you still like him. And a part of you wanted him to put up a little resistance, but ultimately not be able to resist you and throw everything to the wind and come after you."

You sigh and reply, "Maybe. He wasn't aloof or weird. He was mostly business and a little personable. Completely appropriate. Talked about CLE classes that I'm going to be taking at the conference and asked me about my dinner plans while I was there. He has dinner plans with law school buddies two out of the three nights we are there. So, doesn't look like there will be any funny business."

"I still say, this is just a façade. What will you be doing for dinner while there?"

"Room service! Apparently, there is some meet and greet event on Thursday night, but I don't really want to go."

"Why not? You should get yourself out there. Mingle, network, meet some new people."

"Oh my God. Just listening to you say those words, fill me with anxiety."