2. We Come Here A Lot...

"I don't want to do it

"I don't want to do it." Ellie tries to step back but I grab her waist, keeping her in place.

"Don't watch, El." She holds her shirt up, wiping an alcohol wipe across the injection site as I remove the needle cap. I flick the syringe to remove any air bubbles in the hCG and turn back to Ellie. "Are you ready?"

"No."

"You got this, baby." I pinch the skin of her lower abdomen between my thumb and pointer finger as I hold the syringe in my other hand.

"That's easy for you to say, you're not the one with a fear of-" She cuts herself off as I insert the needle into her skin and begin to slowly push the plunger in. I watch as the medication injects before it's gone. Ellie is gripping my bicep tightly by the time I'm counting to three in my head. I grab the gauze pad from the sink and place it over the injection site as I pull the needle out, applying a small amount of pressure.

"You may be afraid of them but I'm the one who has inject them in you--and cause you pain."

She gives me a soft smile as a tear falls from her eye. "Y'know, nobody ever discusses how hard infertililty is on men."

"That's because us men aren't allowed to have emotions." I say, tossing the syringe in the small biohazard bucket on the corner of the sink. I stand, pushing Ellie's hair off her forehead. "I'm proud of you, baby." I lean down, pressing a kiss to her lips.

"I love you." She mumbles into the kiss, wrapping her arms around my neck.

I kiss her cheek. "I love you, too." With a slap to her ass, I let her go.

Ellie giggles and steps around me to grab her phone off the sink and stop the camera from recording.

We started documenting our infertility journey when we did Ellie's first hCG trigger shot. She had said that as hard as this was going to be, she knew it'd all be worth it in the end and didn't want to forget what we went through to create what we want more than anything.

"Maybe we should go to lunch with your mom. It's not healthy for us to just sit at home alone all day doing nothing." Ellie says, following me out of the bathroom.

"If you want to."

"If you really don't want to go anywhere we don't have to, but I think it would be good for us. Plus I think she wants to get out of the house too, she hasn't been anywhere since her surgery." Ellie scoops Bentley off the bed and cradles him in her arms like the giant baby he truly is.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago, and after chemo and a breast transplant, it's finally gone.

Growing up as an only child with a dad in the military meant my mom and I were close, so when she was diagnosed, it was hard on both of us.

"Is your dad gonna come?"

"No idea," I mumble, sending a message to my mom. "I'll ask."

"Is it raining?"