14. Connections, ❤️❤️❤️

"See, there you go," Mom says softly, stroking the top of Sailor's head

"See, there you go," Mom says softly, stroking the top of Sailor's head. "You've got nothing to worry about, Mama. It wasn't you. Sometimes babies just cry. Part of it is exploring the sounds and feelings of the tears."

Sailor looks up at my mom. "Chris calms him down so easily, though."

A sympathetic smile appears on her lips. "And that's just something you'll have to work through. Postpartum depression is no joke, and you're dealing with a more severe case of it. Try focusing on the breastfeeding moments. Those are the times you can really connect with your baby."

"He hasn't been latching as well lately. We've had to start bottles and pumping."

"Babies can feel your tenseness much like animals can. If you're not relaxed, he won't be. He's probably hungry, I can guide you through it now if you want." Mom tells her, leaning forward.

I stand up and make my way to the fridge, suddenly feeling hungry-and like I need to pee. "Imma use the bathroom and then I'm gonna check on the sleepyheads upstairs. I'll be back."

I tiptoe up the stairs and down the hallway until I reach the master bedroom. Slowly pushing the door open, I find Aspen and Asher just how I left them-sprawled out on the bed with the sheets falling off.

I quietly do my business in the bathroom before heading back downstairs to find Sailor with her nursing bra pulled down and Ryder attached to her breast.

My phone starts vibrating on the counter, and I walk out of the room to answer it.

"Hey," I say quietly, pressing the phone against my ear.

"Hey, baby, I didn't know if you'd still be awake. Chris told me what happened." Evan says, his voice gravelly.

"Yeah. Mom's here too."

"So what's going on exactly? Chris was all over the place when he was telling me. He's kinda freaking out." He lets out an awkward chuckle.

"I'm not entirely sure myself." I run my fingers through the tips of my hair with a sigh. "She was freaking out because Ryder wouldn't stop crying and she feels like she can't do it herself. And she's upset that she and Ryder aren't connected like a mother and baby should be because she hasn't wanted to be around him." I peek out into the living room to see Sailor smiling down at Ryder. "She's breastfeeding right now though. This could be a turning point because he hadn't been feeding from her."

"I'll tell Chris when he gets out of the shower."

"What time is it there?" I ask, leaning my back against the wall.

"Almost six." I hear a door open and close before muffled voices. Evan sighs. "Grey wants to talk to you for a sec."

There's shuffling as he passes the phone. "El?"