32. Piss 'N' Boobies, Part II

While they took Ainsley away to run some tests, Evan and I snuck down to Evelyn's room to meet the new babies

"I'm so glad to be out of that damn gown for a while," I say as we turn the corner of the hallway. Evan remains silent, and I can feel the tension vibrating off of his shoulders. "What's wrong?"

"I don't think I can go in there." He stops a few feet away from the door.

I frown. "Why?"

"Because..." He rubs the back of his neck. "Look, Ainsley is absolutely perfect but, seeing the twins will just remind me that she isn't healthy. They get to sit there and hold their babies while our baby girl is stuck in a plastic box. I mean, she can't even open her eyes." His voice cracks and tears fill her eyes.

"I know. But she'll get there. It's not going to be easy, but nothing about this journey has been. At least she's here, and she is healthy for her circumstances." I run my fingers through his hair. "It's gonna be okay."

I knock on the door softly.

A few seconds later, and a smiling Greyson greets us on the other side.

"Hey!" I whisper yell, shoving right past my brother-in-law.

"Congrats man." I hear Evan tell him.

"Thanks, Henderson."

Evelyn's face lights up when she sees me. "I didn't know if you guys would leave the baby. Which I totally understand."

"They took her away for some tests, so we slipped out for a few minutes." A bundled-up baby rests in the crook of Aiden's arms. "Can I?"

"Of course." He gives me a sympathetic smile and passes the baby to me.

"That's Augustus," Evelyn says softly.

I sit down on the edge of Evelyn's bed with a wince and look down at the baby.

Evan is right. This is incredibly hard. But Augustus is adorable and I'm happy for my sister.

"Babe, you just got ahold of the baby. You couldn't even wait five minutes." Evan says.

I know what he's doing. He's trying to make it seem like we're okay.

I wipe my nose, chuckling through my own tears. "I can't help it."

"Gracie, give me the baby." He says and Gracie reluctantly passes the baby girl over to him. This only makes me cry even harder.

"Els." Evelyn frowns at me.

"I'm fine," I say through my tears.

"Daddy, I'm tired," Aspen says, walking over to Greyson. "I want to go home." I didn't even notice that she was here.

"Remember when we told you to go with Nana, and you cried?" Greyson says softly, picking her up in his arms.

"I didn't want to go home without you." She says.