23. Sing

We are headed to a party hosted by a former friend of ours. It is at a club in the city centre, we are not driving because we will both be drinking. We deserve it after the episode we had a few days ago.

"I spoke to a friend about getting the other five shooters and he said he will get back to me as soon as he can."

"You think he will?"

"I hope so. I did not want to go out."

"You wanted to stay home?"

"Yeah, I need a little more time to adjust."

"We could go back." he shakes his head defiantly

"No, we need to ease our way back into normal life."

"We do not have to stay long, I promise."

"It's okay, let's have fun."

"Yeah?" he nods and we continue driving to the venue, I wanted to have a fun night, we have been busy finding the other five and who in the CIA authorized his execution.

My father called yesterday to make sure that we are okay and I said we were because we had each other but that is a lie.

Kai and I are grieving at different speeds, going through different motions with completely different regrets, I wish we could understand each other better but I have never felt so different from him. He feels brand new, like a sofa with the plastic off.

We walk in hand in hand and get greeted by the host who leads us to a tent outside where the party is. They are here for the holidays and we could not pass on the opportunity to see them after a few years.

"Y'all should have fun, tonight," they say before going to entertain their other guests and we are left talking to their partner and friends.

With alcohol in our system, we tear the dancefloor up, his eyes following my every move, I am the charmer in this snake dance.

His arm around my waist, pulls me closer to him, with no space between us, he leans down, his lips near my ear "You look good." he whispers before pulling his face away to gaze at me.

Intertwining our fingers, I place a kiss on his knuckles and it gets a chuckle out of him. A soft smile before he places his lips on the back of my hand.

"Aren't you two adorable!" she screams over the music

"Hey, Citra." letting go of him to hug her, she wraps her arms tightly around me and I become cheery "How have you been?"

"Great, I heard that you guys are on the run."

"Yeah, it's no big deal."

"It is, you should take it seriously."

"We are, we just also want to have fun with other people not just seeing each other's faces all day, every day."

"Well, if you ever need help, I am here for you." with a firm grip on my hands, she leaves us to go talk to some other people.

"I do not mind looking at your face all day, every day."

"I don't mind either. You have a beautiful face."

"Thank you, Kitten. So do you want to go home, eat ice cream and watch movies?"

"Definitely," we said our goodbyes before heading home. As we enter our quiet home, I take off my shoes and he undoes his belt before going into the kitchen as I head for the couch.

He sits beside me and places a cocktail in front of me. He is drinking whiskey diluted with coke. "Remember Chris?"

"Uni Chris?" I nod "I try not to think about the guy."