25. Smile

********
Narrator's POV
********

Three weeks went by before she ever saw Mrs Petrov again and this time it was in a fighting arena. She did not want to be here but she found herself following the young girl to this place and while she had no will to move, her body did without her.

"Now that the chip is securely in place, we can start."

"Why would I do anything you say?"

"The chip, I will not repeat myself. We know that Kaiser taught you a lot but we are going to turn you from an okay assassin to one of the best in the world."

"How is a chip going to do that?"

"The chip is only good for impulse control but we are going to train you to be better, the best in fact." she barely had enough strength for a witty or snarky remark, she hated the lady that was screaming at her but she could barely care knowing how this ends.

For the next two years, Mrs Petrov, Dr Zolenski, and Anya turned Kamohelo into the best assassin that she can be. The chip would send suggestions to her brain and she was always forced to act on those suggestions because doing anything other than that would result in an electric shock being sent to her body.

While she became better, Kaiser had gone nonverbal and had not uttered a word for two years. Greta moved him to Norfolk where his friends were, thinking he would respond well.

For the first week, they all visited him and tried talking to him. Shadow, Zale, Eric, and Sibo were the ones making an effort. Sadly after a few weeks of these visits, he became aggressive and the doctor suggested that they were triggering the reaction.

Their connection to Kamo brought back bittersweet memories that made his brain react with anger and he would go on a killing spree and the victims were always families with two children. Her absence has driven him beyond insanity.

The last time, Sibo went to visit him, he killed a family that lived in the neighbourhood,  he cleaned the crime scene and buried the bodies. He wrote a note to his mother telling her what he did and she asked that they never saw him to avoid a trigger.

This has led to his friends devoting their time to finding Kamo and bringing her home so they can get their friends back.

Everyone who knew them thought of them with pity, a young love story turned into a Shakespearean tragedy and those who knew them were stricken with remorse.

When he lies in their room, she is everywhere and he seems to be in hell, unable to see anyone but her but unable to leave in case he loses her yet again. He is haunted by the sounds of her barely breathing, bruised, broken, scared, and the weight of all the lives he took on his shoulders as this all must be punishment for all the times he played Death.

When she lies in her jail cell of a room, she imagined that he was everywhere. That it was his hand wrapped around her wrists and not the leather, that he was the satin sheets, she laid on. That he was the pillow kissing her good night. She turned everything into a fantasy about him maybe if she could train her mind into recognizing that he is her safe place, it will not obey instructions to harm him.

Two people in love, separated, both driven to insanity by disaffection. What could save these lovebirds from the utter doom they seem to attract?

***********