32. Never Too Much

She tells me the entire story including how the police ridiculed her for trying to report him. After getting her cleaned up, I settle her into the guest bedroom before heading to the backyard to help my husband clean up.

Well, more so to watch him clean up. He will not let me help him.

"I am so angry at the police, how could they brush her off like that, especially with the bruises on her."

"They place boy code above human decency."

"And that is atrocious. I can not keep letting her go back to him." he is packing the dishwasher as I sit on the counter.

"Maybe she won't. You have to give her time."

"He hit her yesterday, promised he will not do it again, not a day goes by before he hits her again? I can not let her go back to him."

"So what are we going to do?"

"I do not know yet but I can not let it all go back to normal."

"Okay. I am sorry we did not get to watch Black Is King but we can watch it tomorrow when I get back." I am not supposed to go in tomorrow, it is my day off.

"And we can watch any movie you like."

"Horror?"

"Anything that will not scare me from sleeping."

"Okay, I can work with that."

"But when I say you must come to the bathroom with me, I do not want to hear any complaints."

"None from me, I love when you can not get enough of me."

"Like right now."

"Oh, yeah."

"I love when you clean."

"That is why I do it." laughter erupts from us as I close the sliding door. "I do not want to go to work tomorrow."

"Then don't."

"I have to get those boats ready for fishing season."

"You work so hard, it turns me on."

"Everything I do turns you on," he says with a smile on his face

"Yep, you turn me on."

We get into bed and as always, I am the little spoon, his perfect kitten but I go to sleep wondering how I am going to keep Isa alive.

When I wake up, in the morning, his side of the bed is empty.

"Daddy?" no answer. I head to the bathroom to pee before brushing my teeth. The clock says that it is five am, he is still here. He leaves for work at eight.

I put on my silk gown before putting my purple plush dragon slippers on. My hair still in a bonnet, I make my way to the kitchen.

"Good morning, kitten." he places a kiss on my cheek before going back to the breakfast he is making.

Isa is still in her room, so I will make her breakfast myself later when she wakes up.

"I heard, from a reliable source that a few books by Ethan Cross are on their way to this house."

"What?" he nods "Say you are lying."

"I am not lying. They said that they should be here today before noon." I want to scream but I know we have a guest so instead, I start jumping before I go to my husband and kiss his cheek.

"Oh my word, Kai, you are such an amazing husband. What did I ever do to deserve you?"

"Nothing too crazy, I hope," he says before chuckling at his joke.