28. Superhero

Sibo came in with Zale, it took a few days but she came back. She had to talk to a friend of hers to get more insight. She suggested that maybe none of the parts were metal and maybe the chip was already absorbed by my brain.

She got more proof of this when she took into account the many airport security checks I have been through.

I felt hopeless, as though all the dreams I had of being with Kai, were in the wind, lost forever. All I wanted was to watch a series with him again, to cuddle, to kiss and hold him, I just want to be a wife.

"What if we create our own chip?" we look at her as though she is insane. "It will have to override that chip."

"Okay, can you do it?"

"I don't know, and even if I try, I might kill you."

"That sounds great." a sympathetic smile on her face, why does this sound like my only option?

"I am going to need those scans though."

"Anything you need." Kai and I agree in unison. They went shopping for a straitjacket, a bright idea because then they do not have to tranquillize me. Eric is headed towards Alyone Hospital to make a booking so we can get the imaging.

When they got back, Shadow gave me a dose of Zolpidem, I was glad because I would like a nap, even if it lasts only an hour.

They woke me up for the last scan, the boys held me down while Sibo and a doctor stay in the control room to get the imaging done properly.

"Kaiser," Sibo calls on the monitor, my body thrashes around trying out of the jacket.

After a few more minutes, I feel a needle prick my skin again. A part of me hates that everyone is doing all of this for me. Wasting time trying to help me when there is not much that can be done.

I do want a life with my husband, family and friends but what life would we have? Sought after by government agencies, criminals, oligarchs and the like.

"I first have to replicate the chip in her brain." I hear a voice I do not recognise as I stir awake.

"Can you do that?" Sibo responds

"I think so, I am not a human chip kinda being but I'm sure I can figure it out." 

"What do you need?"

"I will make a list and send it to you." they nod before heading up the stairs, Eric following their lead.

"What do we do in the meantime?" Kai asks

"Keep her cuffed and calm." Sibo answers "There is not much I can do without that chip." she marched up the stairs leaving my husband seated on the table he would often make bullets on.

"Are you okay?"

"Just want you to be okay."

"Sibo is good and I heard she asked for help, I am sure we will get help."

"What if it is too late?"

"Kai, we are thinking positive thoughts."

"We also need to prepare for the worst."

"Let's not prepare today." he nods and lays on the couch.

We did not speak of it. I avoided the topic and only wanted to talk about a fantasy to keep myself sane.

******

*A week later*

"I have the original, so now it is figuring a way to counter it," Sibo exclaims as she bursts into the basement. I am now cuffed to a chair in Sibo's house.

"So what do you need from me?"

"What does it do?"

"What do you mean?"

"I need to know everything that it does so I know the best way to override it." I list all that I know about the chip and she writes it down.

Sibo has been my friend for thirty years. We were in the same transport, this was before her parents became monied. She has been there for me more than anyone else in my life. In more ways than I could ever express, she is my soulmate.

We have gone through hell together and gone to war for each other, there is nothing, I would not do for her and to have her so invested in making sure I can live free of the need to kill my husband made me happy. I can not wait to hug her after five years.

If I am being honest with myself, I missed her company as much as I missed Kai's. The fact that she has a kid, an entire child and I was not here for that, breaks my heart.

She was at my baby's birth and both funerals. She was at my wedding, Khanyi's birthday parties were planned by us both, in a way, Khanyi had three parents and she was the best parent out of the rest of us.

"I am sorry I was not there to be a godparent to your son." she looks up from her notebook, I barely know what she is writing. We used to say I was the smarter one out of the two of us but it is her. She is everything she dreamed of being and I am so angry that I have not been here to witness her become this version of herself.

"You have nothing to be apologetic about, baby, it's not like you chose to stay away."

"But still, I feel so awful about not being able to be there for you."

"Your memory was. There were times when I would ask myself, what would Kamo do? Then I did the opposite." laughter erupts between us, I love her, she is my sister.

"How is he?"

"We named him Zolani after Thandi's dad and I got to pick the middle name and I went with Kamo."

"Sibo..."

"I wanted to look at names with you so bad and when I saw his face it just felt right to name him after you."

"Sibo, that makes me want to cry," I say with tears in my eyes, I face upwards so she does not have to come near me. "How do you like being a mom?"

"Honestly, I hate it for the most of it but I do love when he laughs, I live for that laugh."

"I get you."

"We were actually discussing a sibling for him."

"Really?" she nods "Who would carry?"

"Thandi again, unless the doctor says it's not safe."

"I wish you well on that, would love to be a godmother of two."

"One is enough for now."

"Okay. I am happy I get to see you again."

"I love you."

"I love you." we continue to talk as she figures this chip out.

****************

Friendship romances are just as important as romantic relationships. 

Transport: is colloquially used in Southern Africa to refer to "carpool" or when parents hire a driver to take their kids to school and back home either in a car or mini-bus.