005: The wedding 2

Warning: This chapter contains the mention of domestic abuse.

Pearl

I turned to my sister who had her gaze fixed on Felicia, her glare was so intense and from where I sat, I could feel the heat. I knew she was about to burst so I placed my hand on hers. When she shifted her gaze to me, I gave her a little nod and flashed a smile at her. I knew my sister, she would fight whoever would come at me. She was only twenty-two but she was fearless and very outspoken, she never cared who it was as she had always told it as it is.

My aunties stopped making stupid comments, and querying her about her outfits and the rest of them after she had confronted them a few times. Talking about outfits, my sister was rocking a good one at the wedding. She wore the beautiful sea blue, high-slit, off-shoulder lace dress I made her as a gift on her birthday, which she recently celebrated. Her knotless braids were in a tight ponytail, making her oval-shaped face prominent. Her face was just like mine, oval-shaped. All I could say was that my parents made some really beautiful kids.

"I will come for that dress," Peter's younger sister, Joy teased. "You look beautiful and you know sometimes I'm a little jealous of you, because of all the beautiful dresses you own and the fact you made each one of them. You're so talented, Pearl." She said and the other of my cousins nodded, agreeing with her and then, they chipped in some positive comments.

"Thank you," I smiled from ear to ear. I loved getting those compliments, it always made me confident in my work. "You guys look beautiful," I glance around the table. Some of them had on dresses I could remember making. "So for how long are we going to wait for the couple to make an entrance?" I glanced around the venue. Everyone was at their table having conversations, and some were standing moving their body to the beat currently playing. A few others were just moving up and down busy with one or two things. The venue was getting filled up as more guest made their way into the event hall.

"They will soon be here, you know the bride has to change into her reception dress, touch up her makeup or should I say redo the whole makeup." Another of my cousins said and we chuckled. Women never joked with their looks on their wedding day, pictures had to come out looking great at the end of the day. "And they will take the opportunity to eat too."

"Right, so did y'all attend the church service how was it?"

"Fine and emotional, love is a beautiful thing," Joy said and we all nodded, agreeing with her. Even though I failed at love and knew that I might not have to experience it again, I still believed that love is a beautiful thing.

"Who cares about love, I just want to make money and travel the world." My sister said as she wrapped her arm around my neck drawing me in to take selfies with her, we took a few before she relaxed back to her seat.

Felicia who had been quiet all along, pretending not to be interested in whatever we were saying while focused on her phone, shifted her gaze to my sister. I knew she was about to say some foul things that would make my skin crawl.

"If only your mother, knows that her daughters are going to end up unmarried and old in their father's house," she chuckled and then stopped when she realized that she was the only one laughing. I wondered what was funny. Like mother like daughter, they say. "What?" She threw her hands out and glanced around the table. "I mean, after Kelvin dumped you, Pearl. It seems like it's difficult for you to find a new man and now your sister is voluntarily saying she wouldn't get married but travel around the world."

"Better to be single, travel around the world and be happy than to be in a marriage, where my parents and sometimes uncles and aunties too, would have to come and settle fights with my supposed husband." My sister fired and everyone at the table snickered, tilting their neck to the side.