035: Breakfast and chill

Kachi

"Good morning, Dr. Phillips."

"Good morning, Maria," I said to my housekeeper as I walked right into my living room. She had resumed work for the day, and for a house, I left two women in last night, it was dead quiet in here.

Last night, I had gotten an emergency call and after the surgery, I had more to do at the hospital, leaving me with no option but to spend the night there. I had little to no sleep, but I was already used to this life.

"They are not up, yet?" I dropped my car keys on the centre table, directing my question to Maria, who was squatting on the floor, cleaning the same table.

I sent her a text earlier this morning, informing her about them, so she wouldn't do anything to disturb their sleep.

"Your mother already left, sir. Your father came to pick her up." She said, wiping the table surface.

"Oh," I chuckled lightly. The memory of the conversation I had with my father last night, darted back into my mind.

He had called to ask why I had his wife taken away from him, which was a surprise to me because my mother had said, it was his idea, to spend more time with Pearl and make up for last time. But the truth was, my mom told him, I wanted her to spend time with Pearl. That woman would never cease to amaze me.

"But your other guest is still asleep sir." She said and I glanced at my wristwatch.

10:25 am.

My phone chimed and I unlocked it, my eyes meeting James' text, asking that we hang out today.

I tsked... I'm sorry James but I have plans. I was forfeiting my after-work rest because I wanted to spend my Saturday with Pearl, and even James was not going to stop me.

"Sir," Maria called out to me, and I directed my attention to her. "I took a peep in your room and she is very beautiful," Maria smiled, rising to her feet and my gaze followed to her level.

"She looks like an angel in her sleep. Sir, marry this one, please. You will make beautiful babies together." She added.

Maria had been working for me, ever since I moved back to Nigeria and started working in my father's hospital. Even though she was almost ten years older than me, she was like a friend to me. I will never forget her motivational words which helped me through the time, I was in hell suffering from the harm Vera caused me. Our relationship had become more of friends, than a boss and his employee. No, Maria was the elder sister I never had.

"So because she is beautiful, you want me to marry her eh, Maria," I said, smiling. "What if she is not a good person?" I asked, looking down at my phone, and started texting James.

Guy, I have more important things to do today.

~Me

"No... My spirit welcomed her, she is a nice person, she has to be." She gushed, calling my attention back to her.

There was something about Pearl, everyone loved her at first sight. It was the same for my mom, brother, James and now, Maria. But I, on the other hand, judged her stupidly.

"I've heard you, Now go back to work," I said and watched her walk away with the towel in hand. Her cornrows were new and clean, making her dark-skinned round face beautiful. She had on a big black T-shirt and large-sized jeans, which I wondered if belonged to her husband.