017: Overprotective brother

Pearl

With his eyes glued on me, I took some steps towards the door and halted right in front of him. "Hey," I smiled and he responded with a smile. A charming one at that.

His smile was quite charming and radiant just like his face but he was only playing the game, I had to remind myself. I recalled the little information, Peter told me about him and wondered what it must have been for him.

"You're here too," his words came, shutting my thoughts down.

"Yes, but I am about to leave so you guys can go ahead." I knew Peter's eyes were on us, so I needed to say something because we were supposed to be a couple, at least to him. "We will talk later, on the phone." I cringed at my words and watched as he did a little head nod before moving to the side, I sauntered out of Peter's office.

As I drew the door shut, I closed my eyes and then, let out a deep breath, all in an attempt to calm my throbbing heart. I wondered what the sudden reaction that sparked in me was about, no way it was because of yesterday. All this reaction just because of the little night chat?

Get yourself together, I hummed in my mind as I resumed my strides, down the hallway, making my way back to the ward.

Halfway to my destination, my gaze fell on the floor, where I had fallen earlier. The urge to laugh came on and I squeezed my lips together pushing it back in, imagine what would have happened if Kachi had walked in, on that. I would have been very embarrassed if he had seen me on the floor and the fact that he had previously judged me harshly, made me wonder what he would have thought of my family. Of course, there was no way his family would be anything like mine, rich people always had amazing ways to handle their issues. If Felicia was to be from a family like his, there was no way her mother would leave her to be in that toxic marriage.

I pushed the door to the unit open, and my eyes trailed into the room, followed by my steps. Felicia and my sister were back, everyone was just seated and having a conversation. I wanted to discuss the little plan I had in mind with Felicia but, there was no way I was going to discuss plans to leave her husband in front of her mother, I would have to do that later. 

Rather, I joined the discussion they were all having about Chike and Kennedy's actions towards Uche earlier, meanwhile, Sophia was not yet awake. When Felicia's mother talked about reprimanding his son, Kennedy for fighting her inlaw, we all gave her the 'Are you serious look,' including her daughter. I made a mental note to make time and talk to my brother but I wasn't going to reprimand him or anything, I was only going to tell him not to involve himself ever again.

Some hours had gone by when Sophia finally woke up, Peter had done some checks and said she was okay. But they would have to stay for a few more days.

A few hours after she woke up, my mom decided to leave, but my sister who wanted to stay behind and join me, changed her mind immediately after she learned my car was at the mechanic. She quickly switched and left with our mom. I lingered a little longer before deciding to leave. On my way out, I was hoping to see Kachi one more time but there was no trace of him.

Putting all the things that happened at the hospital behind me, I took a taxi to my mechanic workshop where I met my car well and sound. I settled the bill and finally, I was driving home. The sun had begun to set and daylight was about to pack up, while stuck in traffic all I could think of was my home, food and shower. I had just spent my whole day at a hospital.

As I neared my apartment building after beating the traffic, a deep sigh escaped my mouth and then followed by a "thank you, lord'', which rolled off my tongue. A smile once again found its way to my face.