023: Meeting his family

Pearl

I had been to rich folks' neighbourhoods, like where Gee lived with her husband but let me tell you, I had never been to a neighbourhood like this. First, it was the faces of the sentries when we got to the entrance of this estate, which were deadly serious and right now, as we drove into the estate, I was enthralled.

Even though I tried to act classy and not gawk, my eyes still shamelessly, scanned through the beautiful place. It was as though Kachi noticed since he slowed down his car speed.

This was what I imagined heaven to look like, quiet and peaceful. The boogie classy houses, the peaceful scenery, the trees, birds and everything were looking so at peace.

After waiting for Kachi to contact me the whole week, which he didn't. Last night, I decided to text him because I needed to know the time we would be leaving for his parents' house. But it wasn't until this morning that he replied to my text.

All through our drive to this place, we had not said a word to each other, except for when we exchanged pleasantries and he complimented my look. I couldn't return the compliment, because I was not happy with him. It felt like he left me the whole week to worry about this thing alone and right now, it seemed like he didn't even notice that I was angry.

Days like this were when I was grateful for my daydream skill, because all through our drive, it had kept me going. I thought about Brian, who had called earlier the day, asking that I go out with him today. Well, I made him know that it wasn't going to be possible and promised to let him know when, I was going to be free, but seriously, thinking about us, I knew quite well I wasn't feeling anything for him.

Whatever we had was still going to be nothing, but just friendship.

I enjoyed the friendship we had before he travelled, and I didn't only turn him down because I was heartbroken. I also did that because I felt nothing more than friendship between us, and it was going to remain that way. But then, maybe all I had to do was give it more time, who knows, I might grow more feelings for him.

Gee's words then, slipped into my mind and I wondered if Kachi avoided me this past week, because of what happened at the gallery, but there was no way that would be true because even right now, he seemed quite unbothered.

The Kachi I know won't be bothered one bit! The line sounded loudly in my head.

The car horn went off, blaring, shooting me out of my thoughts, and I snapped back to reality. I directed my gaze to the metal black gate, and that was when it dawned on me that we had arrived. We had arrived at his family house, the place where I would be proving to his Mother that I was his girlfriend.

I sighed, mentally preparing myself for the task. Through the corner of my eye, I saw him glance at me,  I swallowed a lump down my throat, deciding to ignore him and prepare my mind.

A man appeared and pushed the gate to the side, and he drove his white Range Rover into the interlocked compound. I slightly gaped as my eyes settled on the big mansion that we were driving towards. The huge building was painted mostly white, which made me wonder if white was a family thing. As we approached, I looked out of the window and saw a beautiful rectangular-shaped pool, and I wondered what it would have been like growing up in a house like this.

Slowly, he drove his car to the parking lot with a shade above it, protecting the cars from sun and rainfall. Joining the fleet of about six different brands of expensive cars, he finally fixed his car in a space. He turned off the engine and then, followed a sigh from him. I silently heaved a sigh with my eyes closed, preparing myself for what was ahead.

My eyelids parted open, meeting Kachi's upper frame leaning towards me, and that caused my heart to skip a beat. His strong cologne whisked its way through my nose, as his hands fell on my seatbelt.  Slowly, my eyelids again kissed and I fought the urge to touch him.