045: The story

Kachi

My hand moved to the other side of my bed, patting the soft bed material but she wasn't there. Was her holding me to sleep a dream? It sure wasn't, because thanks to her I was able to have a good rest.

Yesterday after I left the restaurant, I got a call from a few people asking that I check the media, and see the trend. I am not a fan of social media, so many fake people with stupid opinions. I hated my personal life being plastered all over it, but that was exactly the case yesterday.

But in all of this, the only thing that bothered me was what Pearl thought of me.

I rose from the bed and waddled to the bathroom. After I was done with my business there, I sauntered out of my room and headed downstairs. The aroma that hit my nostrils caused my stomach to rumble in hunger as I trailed down the stairs.

When my feet landed on the living room floor, my eyes darted to the dining room meeting Pearl, who drifted her gaze from the plate of food she was setting on the table and settled her eyes on me.

"You are awake," she smiled and I nodded, walking towards her. "I saw the fried rice in the freezer and decided to heat it for you." Her smile was as soft as her gaze while I halted across her at the dining table. "I figured you would be awake soon and would be hungry too."

"Thank you," I lowered to the seat and she mirrored, with her gaze not leaving me.

"How do you feel?" She asked, picking up her spoon from the plate.

Of course, I was okay since she was here, at this point I didn't care about the post on the media, the public judgment and witch Vera. The only woman I cared about, the only woman I was worried about what she thought of me was sitting across from me, the only woman my heart beats for was here for me.

"I'm fine now," I said and placed a spoonful of rice in my mouth.

"This is good," Pearl said, chewing on the first spoon of rice she took.

"Maria made it for me yesterday."

"It's nice," she added.

"I will make you something someday," I said digging the spoon into my plate, and the noise of the spoon hitting the plate filled the room. "Soon," I added, with a soft smile playing on my lips for the first time today.

The thought of making food for Pearl, and having her taste it brought a little joy to my heart. I couldn't wait for her to taste my food. The same food I would use and apologise each time I annoy her because the way to a woman's heart is also through her stomach.

She swallowed the food in her mouth, "I can't wait for that day to come." Her lips curved in a smile and her eyes danced in mine.

We stared at each other for a little longer than we had been doing, before I focused back on my food. I raised my face, placing a portion of food in my mouth and met Pearl's gaze which was still on me. Her spoon was resting between her thumb and index finger, while her gaze had gone from soft to worry. I could feel the flames of worry mixed with curiosity in her eyes. I was sure she wanted to talk about it, but at the same time scared to ask because of how I might feel about it.

Quietly I chewed on my food, swallowed with our gazes still lingering with each other's, "I was scared you wouldn't come, I thought you were going to hate me." I said in a low tone. "Thank you for coming," I blinked as my eyes darted between her plate of food and her.

I wouldn't lie, I was still a little scared because I didn't know what was going through her mind, if I had superpowers I would surely use them on her to find out. I needed to know what she was thinking staring at me now, I was scared she might think I was a psycho. The outcome of my relationship with Vera might have made me many things but it sure didn't make me a psycho.