047: Love so pure

Pearl

The past week had been both mentally, and physically exhausting for me.

Not only was there much for me to do at work, but I also had most of my time thinking about how Brian was Kachi's daughter's biological father.

How on earth did that even make sense? How was that even possible? How was I not able to pick that up?

The expression that dawned on Gee's face when I narrated everything to her, was nothing compared to what was on mine, the night Kachi narrated the story to me. His face when he told me he had accepted his fate and wanted to be in Kaima's life because no matter what he believed he was her father, and couldn't imagine life without her. Was it how he fought hard to get to the point of having her on some weekends? In all of this, I felt nothing but pity for him.

After listening to Kachi's story, and the horror his ex put him through, I realized that Kelvin didn't do much to me, so I decided to make peace with him. He hurt me, yes, but it wasn't as bad as what Kachi went through, and I was going to make up for all of that.

Not that he wanted me to make up for anything, but I wanted to love him in a way he had never experienced before. It was only a week since we became official and in that one week, I had been staying at Kachi's place.

Thanks to the people who took it upon themselves to redeem him on social media, the troop of people who talked about how he had helped them in one way or the other. The people that fought for him, and tried to change the narrative of him Vera tried to create. It was all thanks to these kind people, that netizens had long forgotten about the scandal that Vera pulled. Everyone had moved on to the next sensational story.

The full-on blast air conditioner caressed my skin, while I sat in an easy yoga position in Kachi's living room, in a house he loved to call ours now. My eyes peered at the laptop sitting on my legs, as I scanned through the date spots options that stared back at me like I was a joke. All of a sudden it felt like I didn't know how to do this relationship thing anymore.

I wanted to take Kachi somewhere nice tomorrow. For the past week, he had squeezed out time and taken me on dates every other day, including the gifts he kept spoiling me with. Yesterday he showed me a  bunch of cars on his laptop, asking me to pick anyone I like and when I realized he was serious, I had to stop him.

He was always asking me if he was doing the right thing, making sure I was okay and happy in our relationship. It was only a week but he had shown me so much potential.

Some of the time it felt like he was making sure he wasn't making any mistake, that might push me out in search of comfort in another man. I understood that even though he had moved on from his past, there was still going to be a little trace of its effects in his actions. I had that talk with him, that talk where I told him to relax. I made him a promise that we would always communicate and sort things out.

Sometimes I could feel fear of betrayal in his eyes, and I know it would take time for him to fully trust me. I was going to be patient enough for him, because he, on the other hand, was putting in enough effort.

The sound of the door passcode filled the silent living room, and I darted my eyes to the door. I recited Kachi's new house passcode in my mind, which was now our birth dates together, even though I told him changing the old one wasn't necessary. He did.

The door was pushed open, and he appeared wearing a smile on his face, a smile that always had my heart leaping in excitement.

I won

"Babe," I closed the laptop, placed it on the couch and stood beside it. I wiggled my legs, smiling from ear to ear as I watched my boyfriend walk towards me.