012: A bad evening

Kachi

The clock ticked endlessly and the whole time, I was buried in work. The next time I was able to see the outside of the hospital facility, the sun had begun to set. I had texted Vera earlier that I would be coming by six in the evening but right as I inched my arm closer to my face, I peeked at the time on my wristwatch and it was already fifteen minutes past six.

As I placed my hand back on my car steering, I briefly nodded at the security guard, who sent his greetings to me. With my gaze focused back on the road, I drove out of the hospital premises and set out on the road.

It was already another weekend, the busy road was filled with cars and lots of people, moving up and down the road. As my eyes scanned through the figures on the roadside, I couldn't help but notice that many people were in a hurry just like me. Driving into the major road, it wasn't long before I joined the line of cars waiting in traffic.

Damn it! There was nothing I hated more than traffic, and why would it be on the day I was in a hurry?

Tapping my fingers on my car wheel, I drowned in my thoughts, wading through what my meeting with Vera was going to look like. We barely met these days without a fight and that, I had grown tired of. Even though I hated her, I couldn't stop having to come in contact with her, and that was because Kaima was still a huge part of my life. I loved her so much and I knew she loved me and would want to spend much time with me but that was hard. Her mother wasn't making things easier for me.

As for Vera, I didn't understand her. After she tried to manipulate me into getting back into a relationship with her and failed, she turned into a venomous snake trying to bite each time I was in her sight. Whenever I tried to stay away, she would text me like everything was okay but once I showed up, she would act like I was the one, who hurt her and destroyed what we had.

The thought of Vera and Kaima swam through my head, and I didn't notice that the cars before mine had started moving. It wasn't until the person behind me tootled repeatedly on their horn, almost destroying my eardrums that my attention flew back to reality.

Shit! I flinched as I was jerked off my thoughts.

I continued my journey as I drove off. Thank God, the road cleared up and there wasn't any more traffic waiting for me. Soon after I drove off the road, I made a turn and journeyed through the road that led to the housing estate, where Vera lived.

When I got to the entrance of the estate, I nodded curtly at the security personnel. The housing estate was owned by one of my uncles, and with the fact that I visited often, I wasn't a foreign face to the man. He granted me entry and I drove into the street.

After I drove through the house structures, I slowed down my car as I got to the building where Vera lived, I fixed my car in a good parking space and turned off my car engine. I stepped out of my car, walked to the entrance of the building, bounded up the stairs and soon enough, I got to the second floor. I strode to her door and when I came to a halt, I pressed my finger on the doorbell.

I raised my arm halfway, peeked at my wristwatch and it was already five minutes to seven. As I tilted my face up, simitenously, the door was pushed open and the sight that appeared before me caused me to flinch. Stabling my stance, my eyes narrowed to a slit as I stared at Vera.

It wasn't really my first time, seeing cuts like this on her face but this was on another level. My eyes danced around her oval-shaped face taking note of the cuts, redness and dark marks that tainted her light-skinned face.

Vera was beautiful, no doubt. She was five feet seven inches in height and had a petite body.

Looking at the condition of her face and body left me in a worry, but I was mostly worried about the state of the house in which Kaima was being raised. I had tried to take full custody but Vera had made that unsuccessful and with the circumstances surrounding the situation, I wasn't able to achieve that.