032: Just friends

Pearl

I completely ignored him and turned my gaze back to my phone screen. What was he expecting me to do? Happily jump on his offer?

Appearing in front of me with all that cuteness, wouldn't make me change my mind. I was still very much angry at him and I just promised myself in there, never to talk to him again. I heard his steps hit the ground, swallowing the distance between us.

"I-- Uhm-- I didn't get to introduce myself in there," Gee stuttered and from my peripheral view, I could see her glance between us. "Geraldine," she said, stretching her hand out to him.

"Onyekachi Phillips, but you already know that," he said, taking her hand.

I slightly turned in their direction, causing our eyes to meet and my brows furrowed as I quickly drew my gaze away from him. But when my gaze landed back on my phone screen, I had forgotten what I was trying to do before he appeared.

Wait... I was about to order a ride.

"Taxi!" I heard Gee yell and I drew my face up. "Thank goodness," she huffed as the taxi pulled up in front of us. "I will be leaving now," she smiled and I tried to figure out if she was talking to me or Kachi. "I hope to see you next time, Kachi Phillips." She smiled, and Kachi nodded, smiling.

She turned to me and pulled me in for a hug, "I will see you later, babe. Try and make up with him tonight." She whispered before pulling herself out of my embrace, and darted to the taxi. I watched her hop into the car and waved until they drove away from our sight.

I turned to him and met his eyes on me, with his hands deep down in his pockets. I had nothing to say to him, so I turned and started walking down the roadside, away from him.

People in their nightlife attire walked past us and some of them seemed drunk. I didn't know where I was going, or was I sober enough to know but I needed to be away from him. I wanted nothing but to go home, to go away from the cold night weather which was already caressing my skin.

"Pearl." My name softly escaped his mouth, and his steps hit the ground behind me. 

"Leave me alone," I said in a shaky tone.

Why was I getting emotional over this? I always cry when I'm very angry, but this wasn't the time to show weakness. The last thing I wanted was to cry in front of him but it seemed like the drink I had was working overtime. I continued to walk nonstop, inviting the cold air which continued caressing my skin harshly.

"Wait, Pearl." He continued to call out to me, but I ignored him. If I say a word right now, I might have to cry. Was I really that hurt? "Please," he pleaded. I could hear the determination in his tone.

The same determination that caused me to pause in my tracks. I needed to calm my nerves, just to make sure, I wouldn't cry if I talked.

"What?" I said, swivelling my body. "What do you want from me?" I asked, with my gaze holding his, hoping he wouldn't notice the emotions rushing up inside of me.

Was it because it had been a long time since I saw him? He looked exceptionally handsome tonight. His beauty shined under the lights reflecting on his face.

"I'm sorry," he pleaded and I scoffed. 

I turned and continued walking away from him, this time the emotions were deep down in my stomach. "I am tired of your meaningless apologies." I spat, steps hitting the ground.

"I know, but just let me explain this time."

"Explain?" I paused and turned to him, ignoring the passers-by giving us some questioning looks. "You had the past three weeks to do that. So tell me why you didn't."