024: Meeting his family 2

Pearl

It was all happening so fast, from having his brother hug me, to stepping into his parent's mansion, setting my eyes on the most beautiful house interior I had ever seen. But right now, I was in his mother's embrace.

They love hugs in this household, and nothing had prepared me for that.

I had always thought that rich people exchange handshakes with strangers, and what was with this name Vera, what did she do to Kachi?

With the look on his mother's face earlier, I needed no one to tell me how much she hated her son's ex. The thought of her hating me so much after this must have ended, distributed chills all through my body.

"You are so beautiful, my darling." She pulled away from me and with a huge grin on her face, she placed her hand on my left cheek. Her palm felt so warm.

The grin faded into a light smile, and so did the wrinkles on her face but her beauty still stood high. Her dark skin was what would be said to be golden and her golden grey kinky hair was parked in a bun. She looked like she was in her sixties and some of her features looked like that of her sons, especially her eyes. We were the same height, if I must say. She had on a brown cotton fabric, flowy from the waist, long gown.

She was such a beautiful rich sight to lay eyes on.

"Mommy, this is Pearl," Kachi said, standing next to his mother.

His eyes were on me and it looked like they were pleading, that I forgive him. But what was he pleading for? This was my part to play and they were even nicer than I had thought.

"What is her surname?" She shifted her gaze to his son but Kachi instead of answering, rested his eyes on me.

So I decided to step in. "Obi... Pearl Chiamaka Obi," I said.

"So you don't know your future wife's surname?" His mother said, smacking his arm.

"Mommy!' He bellowed taking a few steps away from her. A laugh erupted from Jonathan, who was standing behind us.

"You should better take this seriously," his mother warned and then, directed her gaze to me. I masked the sorry look on my face with a smile.

He got slapped but why did my heart hurt?

"Hope he is treating you well?" His mother questioned and I nodded curtly.

He wasn't treating me well but he wasn't supposed to, because this was nothing but an act. I wondered what the mother would have done if I had said no. I knew for sure that she would beat him up.

She held my hand and side by side, we walked into the living room and my eyes wandered around the space. Only the living room was as big as my two-bedroom apartment.

My eyes darted to the television screen engraved to the wall, and I didn't need to walk closer for a measure, to know it was taller than me. The walls were so high and were painted in sparkly white, the wall covering the ceiling was painted in milky white colour, with a big chandelier light dangling on it. The white luxurious sofa was positioned rightly with a big picture of the whole family, hung on the wall behind the middle sofa.

His parents sat next to each other with their hands locked together, Kachi was seated next to his dad and his brother next to his mom, with their faces beaming with a smile. What a beautiful family portrait that was.

Finally, my eyes landed on the two ways stairs, as a man descended from one of them. Now I knew where their height came from, it came from the man whose aura matched that of his sons or at least that of Kachi, who I had known better than Jonathan. Each member of this family looked like wealth, that they came from.