034: More than just an act

Pearl

I walked through the section of different brands of sanitary products, and when I found what I was looking for, I picked a pack from it. My period was supposed to come next weekend, but after I had this weird thought of it coming early, and having blood all over the bed at Kachi's place, I asked him to stop at a nearby store for me to get one.

All through our drive, we had talked about life and work but, I was barely paying attention. My mind had been swamped by the thoughts of me spending a night in his house, right in his bedroom, maybe a guest bedroom. I wondered if we would have to share a bed.

We were cool now of course, since we were now friends. But that didn't stop my heart from beating for him, and the hug we shared earlier proved that. Then, I remembered I felt his heartbeat and that left me to wonder if he felt the same way I did.

I stood in front of the cashier counter, waiting for her to scan the code on the product and process the sale, when I noticed a body hovering beside me. I didn't care to look, it wasn't important and also, I was in a hurry, Kachi was waiting in the car.

The cashier's gaze travelled from the system to me, and after she told me the amount to pay, I reached for my card. But before I could hand it to her, the person beside me had theirs out to her. Slowly, I turned my face to the side.

"Let me get that for you."

My gaze met his smiling brown-skinned face, with a few of his locs strands resting on his forehead. We stood at the same height, and he had on a body-fitted round-neck shirt, exposing his muscled arms and a pair of black shorts, They were so short that my eyes lingered on them for a little more than a minute.

"Thank you but, no." I smiled back and handed my card to the cashier.

"A pretty girl like you deserve a man who would take care of her." He said and slowly, with slightly furrowed brows, I turned my face back to him. "I saw you walk in here and I couldn't--" he paused as someone stood between us.

My gaze darted to the new addition, who placed his right hand on the small of my back and when our eyes met, his lips curved in a smile.

"You said you wouldn't take time." He said and I stood there all surprised, trying to figure out what was going on, but at the same time, I loved it.

He turned to the man beside me, and with the look that dawned on the man's face, I could swear Kachi glared at him. He turned and rested his gaze back on me.

I stared at him, trying to figure out if he was acting. Or was he jealous? No way!

When my gaze travelled to the man beside him, he flashed me a smile and retraced his steps away from us. The cashier called my attention and I had my password put into the device.

Was he jealous or just acting?

As we drove out of the place, I glanced at him and when our eyes met, he smiled at me and I mirrored. The drive to his house was short and silent, with us stealing glances at each other. And just like that, none of us talked about what happened in there, just like none of us ever talked about what happened at the art gallery.

He pulled up to his house which was almost as big as his parent's house painted mostly in white, not like I was surprised. It was really what I expected. He had his front door password put in and when the door beeped open, he gestured that I walk in, which I did and he followed.

"Oh, my dear Pearl." His mother exclaimed with her arms spread out as though she had been waiting for me at the door. She pulled me into a brief hug, then, led me inside the house and we sat on the white-coloured sofa in the living room.