027: Unexpected things happened

Kachi

"You're insane."

Her last words echoed in my head as I nodded at the sentry, who granted me entry into the estate where Vera lived. Those were the words she threw at me before leaving my car.

What was I supposed to do? Chase after her? How would I, when my daughter was in possible danger?

Who wouldn't go insane after they hear their daughter, cry out for help over the phone? Kaima had cried, saying that her mother was laying on the floor, and not moving. That got me worked up, and I ended up making some silly decisions.

Why did I insist on taking Pearl with me, when Jonathan offered to take her home? Why would I want only her by my side and then, ended up pushing her out on this street, with tears filled to the brim of her eyes?

When did I start making terrible decisions?

Her job was to be my fake girlfriend, and not to comfort me in situations like this. But yet I dragged her into this and then, panicked. Right now, I was driving closer to the building where Vera lived, and she wasn't right next to me, just like I wanted. And that alone hurt my heart. 

I halted my car at the back of the silver metallic, Toyota Camry which I knew belonged to Vera's older sister. My heart continued to beat frantically against my chest, but the only thing I was hoping for was for Kaima to be okay.

I pushed my car door open and as I stepped down from my car, the black metallic gate was pushed open. Mercy, Vera's sister walked out with Kaima in her arms and a mini bag, hung on her shoulder.

"Is she Okay?" I rushed my steps up to her and she nodded yes, with one finger placed against her lips.

"Keep your voice down, she is sleeping," Mercy said. Her dark brown eyes, gazed at me through her long lashes, while she placed her other hand on Kaima's back. "Vera has been taken to the hospital, but I needed to hand Kaima over to you before I join them." She added.

"What happened to Vera?" I asked, reaching out to Kaima. She transferred my daughter into my arms, her long nails brushing against my skin.

Mercy was light-skinned just like her sister, with the same body frame but a little bit taller than her. After our breakup, she was the only person from the family of four who didn't hate me, at least not to my face. Unlike Vera's brother and mother, who never hid their hate each time, I happened to run into them.

She heaved a sigh like a load was pulled off her. "She overdosed," she said.

I properly placed Kaima on my body, with her head resting on my shoulder. When had my baby started gaining all this weight? And what did she just say about Vera? "What do you mean she overdosed?" I asked. Worry layered in my tone, but I was only worried about Kaima.

"She sent me a weird text saying goodbye, I called but she wasn't picking up my call and by the time I got here, she was laying on the floor, pills on her body and some on the floor." Her voice was shaky, and her gaze was strongly on me. As if studying the emotions on my face. She pulled the bag off her shoulder, "Thankfully, I was able to contact my brother, he had taken her to the hospital but, I needed to wait for you to come. Kaima will be staying with you until she recovers." She added, with the bag stretched out to me. 

I took the bag from her, with emotions drooling on my face, and thoughts occupying my mind. Worry comfortably took its place on my face. Even though we never got along after the breakup, I was really worried for her, she needed to be mentally fine to be able to raise her daughter.

I was worried and so was Mercy, that I was sure of. "Is she-- is she trying to--" I paused and swallowed the rest of my words. I wouldn't want to say that with Kaima in my arms.