10

GENEVIEVE CLARK

7:21 AM

I slowly open my eyes, feeling the weight of something pressing against my back. I turn over, expecting to see my pillows and blankets, but instead, I see my Avery snuggled up against me. She must have snuck into my bed in the middle of the night.

I can't help but smile at the sight of her peaceful sleeping face. Her little hand is wrapped around mine, and I can feel her tiny breaths on my neck. I gently stroke her wavy hair and savour the moment of calm before the day ahead.

It's been three days since the others left on their trip to New York City, and while I'm really happy for them, it's been hard to look after Avery on my own. 

Don't get me wrong, Harry's been a huge help, but it's still awkward between us. 

I reach over to my nightstand and grab my phone. As I unlock it, I see a notification for a "Two Years Ago Today" memory. It's a photo that Archie took of me and Ave in our kitchen that we designed together. She was only two months old. 

A pang of sadness hits me as I remember how happy we were back then

A pang of sadness hits me as I remember how happy we were back then. I was living my dream life, travelling all the time with a loving partner, and my beautiful baby girl. 

I take a deep breath and remind myself that I made the right decision to leave all of it behind.  Archie was toxic, and I couldn't let him ruin my life and my daughter's life.

I glance at Avery again, who is cuddled into my chest, and feel a sudden urge to cherish every moment with her. She is growing up so fast, and I don't want to miss anything.

 I wrap my arms around Avery and give her a gentle squeeze, smiling as she snuggles closer to me.

"Ave, it's time to wake up," I whisper softly, stroking her hair.

She stirs and blinks up at me sleepily, rubbing her eyes. "Morning, Mumma," she mumbles.

"Good morning, my love," I say, kissing her forehead. "Did you have a good sleep?"

She nods and sits up, rubbing her eyes again. "I dreamed about ice cream," she says with a grin.

I chuckle and swing my legs out of bed, and place Avery on my hip as we make our way down into the living room. 

As we reach the bottom of the stairs, I hear music drifting through the air.

It's Harry, strumming his guitar and singing softly to himself. I can't quite make out the words, but his voice is soothing and melodic.

I feel a flutter in my stomach as I watch Avery's reaction to him. There's something about the way he's so focused on the music, and the way she looks up at him with such adoration, that tugs at my heartstrings. 

"Morning, Gen," he says, his voice warm. "How'd you sleep?"

"Morning," I reply, feeling my cheeks flush slightly. "Yeah, good."