63

GENEVIEVE CLARK

The sun filters through the hospital room window, casting a warm glow on the sterile white walls. The doctor just left after giving me the news. I'm being discharged today, but with strict instructions: antibiotics for another week and taking it very slowly for the next two weeks.

Amber is by my side, helping me pack up my things. 

"Finally getting out of here," Amber says with a relieved smile.

"Yeah, but it's not over yet," I reply, glancing at the stack of medication on the bedside table. "I have to be so careful."

Amber looks at me, her eyes filled with concern. "You will be. And I'll be here to help you every step of the way."

I smile, grateful for her support. "I love you."

She shrugs it off, but I can tell she's touched. "We need to make sure this little chicken stays put for a few more weeks."

I laugh softly, placing a hand on my belly. "Yeah, a little longer than a few weeks."

Amber zips up the bag and hands it to me. "How are you feeling about everything? I mean, with Harry and all..."

I sigh, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "It's complicated. I'm still angry and hurt, but he's trying. He even sent me a list of baby names last night."

Amber raises an eyebrow, amused. "Really? That's actually kind of sweet."

I nod, a small smile tugging at my lips. "Yeah, it is. We'll figure it out when he's back home. Right now, I just need to focus on staying healthy."

She reaches out and squeezes my hand. "Of course. No stress, okay?"

I squeeze her hand back, feeling a wave of gratitude. "Okay. No stress."

We finish packing in comfortable silence, the weight of the past few days still heavy but somehow more bearable.

Amber takes my bag and swings it onto her shoulder, leading the way as we slowly make our way to the car park. I feel a little bit of back pain, but nothing terrible. The doctor said I only lost a small amount of fluid, so things are looking good, but it's still a high-risk pregnancy. They've reassured me that I should be able to carry this baby to full term.

As we reach the car, Amber helps me get in, her movements gentle and careful. "You good?" she asks, concern etched in her features.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just taking it slow," I reply, settling into the seat.

Amber nods and closes the door before walking around to the driver's side. As we pull out of the hospital parking lot, I can't help but feel a mix of relief and anxiety. It's good to be going home, but the reality of the situation is still daunting.

Avery has been able to visit me in the hospital, but over the past five days, I've missed her more than anything. Amber and Vada have been looking after her, but it's not the same. As much as I've appreciated the visits, not having her with me all the time has been hard.

As Amber drives us home, the familiar sights pass by, I turn to her with a worried expression. "How's Ave doing with Vada?" I ask, needing to know how my little girl is handling everything.

Amber glances over at me, her eyes soft with reassurance. "She's been doing really well. Vada's great with her, and they've been keeping busy with lots of games and activities."

I nod, feeling a bit of relief. "I missed her so much."

Amber reaches over and squeezes my hand. "She missed you too. But she's been talking about you all the time. We've had to come up with new games to keep her entertained."