30

GENEVIEVE CLARK

I slowly wake up, my eyes still heavy with sleep, as I hear soft whispers filling the room. I turn my head slightly and find Harry sitting up, facing Avery with the biggest smile on his face. He's putting a finger to his lips and telling her to be quiet because "mummy's still sleeping." However, Avery looks back at him with a mischievous grin before turning her attention to me, immediately noticing I've woken up. 

"It's Christmas Eve!" she exclaims, her eyes wide with excitement.

I can't help but smile at her enthusiasm. 

"It sure is!" I reply, my heart swelling with joy as she jumps into my arms. I cuddle her close, showering her cheeks with kisses, and feeling so grateful for this little bundle of energy.

Avery snuggles into the space between us, and Harry wraps his arms around her, kissing her head and whispering, "I love you." I feel overwhelmed with emotions as I watch them together. Harry's love for Avery is so evident in the way he cares for her, and it makes me love him even more.

"Santas coming so soon, Avie!" Harry says, and Avery squirms with excitement. Seeing her so happy and filled with anticipation makes my heart feel full.

As the three of us cuddle together in bed, I can't help but reflect on how far we've come as a family. I never imagined that I would find someone like Harry, someone who would not only love me but also love my daughter as his own. He has become such an important figure in Avery's life, and I'm grateful every day for the love and care he shows her.

Harry leans in and kisses me softly, and Avery exclaims with a playful "Eww!" We both laugh, and he kisses me again.

Harry can't resist her's infectious laughter, and he starts tickling her, which only makes her giggle even more. 

"Daddy!" she exclaims, and his face lights up with pure joy. I can see how much it means to him, and my heart swells with emotion.

"Are you hungry, babe?" I ask Avery, and she nods eagerly. I lift her up and set her on my hip, ready to take her to the kitchen. Harry starts to get out of bed to join us, but I can see how exhausted he looks.

"H, you look so tired. Just go back to sleep, baby," I say gently, knowing how hard he's been working and how little rest he's had lately. He looks at me gratefully and nods, settling back into bed.

"Bye, Daddy!" Avery says, waving as we leave the room.

Avery and I make our way downstairs, and as we enter the kitchen, I see my mother and Anne and Anne sitting and chatting while sipping their coffee. 

Mum sees us and warmly says, "Good morning!" as she opens her arms for Avery. I pass her over, and we exchange morning greetings with both her and Anne.

"I'm just gonna make Ave some cereal, do you guys want anything?" I ask, wanting to be a good host. Anne declines, saying she's okay, and my mother does the same.

I pour some cornflakes into a kid's bowl and pour milk over it, all while watching Amber coming downstairs in her silk dressing gown.

Avery's face lights up at the sight of Amber, and she exclaims, "Amby!" 

Amber runs to her, her beautiful smile mirroring Avery's excitement.

"Hi, Ave! Santa's coming tonight!" Amber says, twirling around with Avery in her arms. I watch this beautiful moment unfold, feeling so grateful for all the amazing people in my daughter's life.

Avery leans in and whispers something in Amber's ear, and I can see that she looks surprised. "What are you two gossiping about?" I tease, and Avery giggles mischievously.