34

HARRY STYLES

I'm in the midst of packing up Avery's old toys and putting them into a box when suddenly, the atmosphere in the house shifts. 

Archie's angry voice pierces the air, calling out Gen's name. I stand up, my heart racing, and listen as the yelling escalates from Gen's direction.

Without thinking, I move down the hallway and across to Gen and Archie's old bedroom. The door is slightly ajar, and as I push it open, they both fall silent, their tension palpable. Archie clutches a bottle of wine and a glass, and my mind races as I wonder where he got them from.

I take a deep breath, my eyes never leaving Archie's face. His features, so similar to Avery's, make my stomach churn. 

This is the man who fathered Avery. 

My emotions swirl as I struggle to keep my composure for Gen's sake. If it weren't for her presence, I would have let my anger take over.

"Archie," I mutter, my voice firm. "What are you doing here?" 

I'm confused on why he's here, he promised Gen he wasn't going to show up. 

Archie's response is laced with casual arrogance. "Well, I fucking live here," he retorts, obviously drunk, raising his glass in a mock toast that ends with red wine staining the floor.

"Put that down," Gen's voice cuts through the tension, her eyes flashing angrily. Archie rolls his eyes, pouring the wine until the glass overflows. It's a display of disrespect that's hard to ignore.

Gen looks terrified, her vulnerability palpable. I step closer, placing my hands on her shoulders to shield her from Archie's unsettling presence. My heart aches for her; all I want is for him to leave.

"Okay, I'll put it down."

As tension fills the room, Archie's grip on the glass tightens, his fingers white-knuckled against its stem. In a careless motion, his hand jerks and the glass slips from his grasp. 

With a resounding crash, the glass meets the floorboards. The impact shatters the fragile vessel into a burst of shards, each fragment scattering across the ground like stars in the night sky. The sound is jarring.

Gen gasps, her eyes widening at the sudden eruption of noise. The red wine that had once filled the glass now stains the floor. The crimson liquid seeps into the floorboards, an indelible mark that mirrors the stain of Archie's presence in their lives.

Archie looks at the shattered glass for a moment, a mix of frustration and disbelief on his face. He lets out an exasperated sigh, his actions seemingly amplified by the shattered remnants at his feet.

"What the fuck!" Gen's voice breaks the silence, her incredulity and anger evident as she stares at the mess before her. Tears well up in her eyes, her emotions spiralling out of control.

I turn to face Gen and place my hands gently on her shoulders, my touch firm yet gentle. It's as if I'm creating a barrier between her and the chaos that Archie embodies. I want her to know that I'm here, steadfast support amidst the turmoil.

"It's okay, it's alright," I murmur, my voice calm and soothing. I lock eyes with Gen, hoping she can feel the sincerity in my words. I want to be her anchor, a reminder that she doesn't have to face this alone.

"How's your new life now after running straight back to your ex like the slut you are?" Archie yells, and my heart shatters. 

Gen's tears fall, her vulnerability on full display, and I feel a surge of anger towards Archie for his callousness.

"Don't listen to him," I murmur, meeting her gaze. "I'm here. It's alright."

Archie's words slice through the air, harsh and biting. "You're a fucking horrible mother, Gen," he yells, the anger in his voice echoing off the walls. "You're absolutely insane. Avery doesn't deserve you."