21

GENEVIEVE CLARK

For as long as I can remember, I've never been close to my mum. We've always had a disconnect, a void that I couldn't quite understand. Growing up without siblings, it felt like I was navigating life on my own, searching for a connection that seemed elusive.

My dad's absence was a constant presence, silently reminding me of the void he left behind. I never really thought about him much, but lately, I find myself wondering what life would have been like if he had been a part of my world. Would things have been different? Would I have felt more whole?

Don't get me wrong, I love my mum dearly. She's done everything she can to provide for me, to give me a good life. But there was always something missing, a deep yearning for a connection that I couldn't quite put into words.

It's funny how life works sometimes. Amber grew up as an only child just like me. We formed a bond early on, becoming more like sisters than friends. We shared secrets, dreams, and even the occasional fight. Amber's family embraced me as one of their own, filling a void I didn't even realise I had.

But now, there's Avery. My beautiful daughter, the light of my life. Being a mother has awakened something within me, a determination to give her the love and connection I've always longed for. It brings me joy to see her smile and to witness her curiosity and innocence. She's the reason I strive to be the best mother I can be.

And then there's Harry. The man who has captured my heart in ways I never thought possible. As our relationship deepens, I can't help but feel a mix of excitement and trepidation. He's becoming more significant in Avery's life, almost like another father figure, and it both warms and scares me. I wonder if I'm ready for this if I can handle the weight of such responsibility.

Archie has slowly faded into the background. But there's always a part of me that wonders if he'll resurface and want to be a part of our lives again. A bittersweet ache tugs at my heart as I reminisce about the moments we shared. I miss him in a way, but I know that the path I'm on now is the right one for me and Avery.

Sitting at the kitchen table with Avery, I spread out a stack of blank papers and a box of crayons before us. Her eyes widen with excitement, eager to dive into the world of creativity.

As we start to draw scribbles "Ave, would you like to do dance again? Remember how much fun you had in Sydney?" 

"Yes, Mumma!" Avery's eyes lit up, and she nodded vigorously, her brown curls bouncing with each movement.

I had spent some time researching different dance studios in the area, wanting to find the perfect place for Avery to hopefully grow up in. After careful consideration, I decided on a studio about 20 minutes away from us. The reviews were outstanding, and I had a feeling it would be the ideal environment for Avery's creative spirit to flourish.

Leaving Avery to her artwork for a moment, I make my way into the living room where Harry is lounging on the couch. "H," I say with a smile, "I'm going to look at a dance studio for Ave. Do you want to come?"

His eyes light up, and he replies, "Sure,"

The three of us pile into Harry's sleek black Range Rover, making sure Avery was safely buckled in her car seat. As we pull out of the driveway, Avery pipes up from the backseat, "Can we listen to Taylor?"

A playful smirk dances across Harry's lips, and he chuckles softly. "Of course she wants to listen to Taylor. She's just like her mum," he remarks before selecting the song Cruel Summer. "This one's my favourite."

I lean back in my seat, a content smile on my face. "What about Style?" I tease Harry playfully. 

Even though the two of them briefly dated right before I met Harry, they're still on good terms, considering she has a house only a few doors down from us. And from the few times I've met Taylor, I can tell she's one of the kindest people ever.