Epilogue

Our Song | Epilogue

Eighteen Months Later
Friday
May 24th, 2024

Laura takes a deep breath in for four seconds and exhales for eight. She does this two more times before opening her eyes and staring down at the black velvet box. She knows she should put it down. Obviously she wasn't meant to find it since it was stashed in in his guitar case that he rarely uses now. It's been shoved under their couch in the studio room for over a year.

It could just be earrings, she thinks. Then she frowns. Her ears aren't even pierced. Or a bracelet or a necklace? She's been staring at it for a solid few minutes now, not daring to open it.

They've talked about marriage and babies plenty of times over the last two years. She knew the chances of them getting engaged soon was big. In past relationships, marriage wasn't even a thought in either of their minds. But being together? Laura couldn't wait to be married. And babies? She wanted them sooner than later. But now

She doesn't even comprehend the front door opening and closing until Ross' voice booms through the house. "Baby!" Ross shouts from down the hall. He's been at Rocky's all day writing.

Her eyes don't leave the velvet box. She can't seem to tear her gaze away.

"Laura!" Ross shouts, voice sounding closer to her. He looks into the guest bedroom first, furrowing his eyebrows as he continues walking. "Love, hey." He breathes once he sees her. Her backs to him, so all he sees is her messy clipped back hair and oversized t-shirt on her body. "What are you doing?" He asks, stepping into the studio room. His eyes immediately widen once he sees what she's holding. "Fuck." He whispers. He knew he should have hid it at someone's house.

Laura makes a strange noise in the back of her throat. Almost... a watery noise? Was she about to cry?

"Laura..." His voice is calm. He could've sworn his guitar case was a good place to hide the ring. She never touched it.

Finally her eyes leave the box and she looks over at Ross. "I haven't opened it." She whispers.

Ross slowly nods. "Okay." He whispers back. He starts to reach for it but she pulls it to her chest. He frowns at her. "Laura, give me the box." He still keeps his voice calm.

"Is it a bracelet?" She asks him. "A necklace?"

Ross crosses his arms. "You know what it is." He says.

She looks back down at it. A ring.

"Can I please have it back?" He asks, crouching down next to her.

She shakes her head. "I want it."

Ross chuckles. "I realize that. But... you can't see it yet, love." His eyes widen when he notices her prying it open. "Stop!" His hands immediately close over hers. "Laura." His heart is beating through his ears, his breathing is heavy.

Her eyes meet his. "Let me peek."

He shakes his head. "Absolutely not."

"Yes." She whispers.

"No."

She nods her head. "Yes, I'll marry you."