Chapter 5

Just like the mother dragon said, its a few hours later when he comes back. The desk dragon who was so full of energy before looks tired. I know this because I see him from the mother dragons view. I continue to listen, still curious what this has to do with me.

"Finally. Your a little late, but I'll let it slide this time. So, you delivered it?"

"Yes" he barely gets the word out, still catching his breath. 

"Good. Hopefully he'll arrive tomorrow. Till then-" 

I hear her talons steps approaching, and she opens the door to my room. Acting like I heard none of their conversation, I instantly perk up and run over to her. Well, more of a clumsy crawl, but still effective.

"-she stays by me, no matter where I go"

"But-" She cuts him off with a wave of her hand.

"No buts, I don't want her in danger, and you get too excited to see reason sometimes"

The meek dragon raises a talon, waiting. 

"Ah, fine, speak"

"What I wanted to say is, you have a meeting with queen Burn today"

I feel the mother dragon freeze under me, and I see a flash of a very large, scary dragon with scars all over her. A shiver of fear runs down my spine too, dread at just the thought of being in her sights. 

"You know how she is with- interesting dragons" he looks at me only with concern now. I'm happy to see the obsessive look in his eyes is now completely gone. 

"Well, then I'll leave her with a friend of mine" I don't see what she's thinking of, too caught up in my own thoughts.

Why can I see all of this? I know its not my animus power. That feels different. This feels... like a gift. I remember rolling under the full moons, and realize it was them. They gave me my powers. The moons gave me the ability's, to save me. Without them, I would have died. 

"Don't worry little one, this dragon is someone I trust with my life" 

I don't bother to look at our surroundings this time. I want to avoid being overwhelmed, as it makes it hard to see forward. I have to be careful. At any moment the future could change, and I need to be ready to steer myself on the right path. 

We eventually enter a tent, which is very cool inside, something I didn't even notice outside was how dry I am. Its not going to kill me but it certainly was bothersome. 

Two angry looking dragons stand guard inside, and behind them I see a regal looking Sandwing. He looks at us annoyed, that is, until he sees mother dragons face. He instantly lights up, hoping to his feet with a smile. 

"Harpy! So nice to see you! What brings you here?" he looks at mother dragon- Harpy- as though she were covered in diamonds, waiting for her response with bated breath. 

Harpy seemed not to notice his extra attention.

"I need you to watch this dragonet for me" She sets me in the sand in front of him, and I tilt my head at him curiously. 

He does the same, a little perplexed looking. 

"Um, ok, but why?" I'm surprised he doesn't mention that I'm a Nightwing. 

"Because I have an important meeting to go to, and I don't trust anyone else with her safety. Her new family won't be here till tomorrow"

His eyes sparkle when she mentions her trust in him. 

"Of course! Anything for you" Harpy nods sharply at him, giving me a small warm look before turning and leaving. 

"Hhmmm" The dragon looks at me a moment indecisively.

"Are you hungry?" he finally asks. 

"Chirp!" I yell, flapping my wings excitedly. 

"Perfect!" he turns away, gently pushing me over to his pile of pillows and blankets he was lounging on before. 

He pulls from behind it a bowl filled with various strange fruits. 

"Come over little one, oh, wait, I just realized I don't know your name"

Suddenly, millions of possible names run through my head, and each one could change everything drastically. Its too much information for me to process, or know which one is good, or bad.

"Hmmm, how about... Rogue! I mean, you basically are a rogue Nightwing right? They always have names a little on the nose anyways, So its perfect!" the name washes away all my confusion. Yes. Rogue. I am Rogue. 

"Come over Rogue" he pats the blankets wit his talon, beckoning me over politely. I oblige, and grab one of the odd colored fruits, wondering about how it will taste. 

Its finally happening. I'm finally going to be a father!

I pace my large metal room excitedly, digging through my assorted things and checking my flight bag for everything I'll need. Taking care of a dragonet was not as easy as some made it look. 

As I'm doing this, I'm fighting to keep my tail in check, hoping I don't accidentally spear anything with my spikes. If only I had inherited my mothers harmless Rainwing tail. 

Being an Icewing that's half Rainwing you would think would be more exciting. But no, I inherited none of my mothers traits. Well, except one. But its not very useful.

Finally, I stop procrastinating. I need to get going. 

After running down a few twisting hallways, passing a few other Icewings, I take off into the early night sky, cold not even registering as I imagined my new little daughters face. 

Harpy finally came back late at night. The nice royal looking Sandwing had let me sleep on his pillows, but, he fell asleep long before me. I wanted to stay up to great Harpy, and, I wasn't feeling very tired. 

In my few days of life, I feel like I've lived many years, leaning from my visions, knowing that soon, my life's going to be an amazing one, and it will change the world. But for now, I'm still a baby, who wants to find her place. Glorious futures can wait till after I get a home. 

Harpy enters the tent silently, smiling when she sees me happily jumping next to the sleeping royal-looking dragon. 

"Acinonyx fell asleep?" she whispers to me. I nod excitedly, looking to the royal dragon. Acinonyx is a cool name. 

She walks closely, seemingly about to gently nudge him awake. Then-

SLAP.

Acinonyx jumps up, almost falling back over again in surprise.

"What is wrong with you? You don't fall asleep when watching a child! What if she wandered off? Got kidnapped?"  Harpy fires off her concerns to the bewildered and half asleep dragon relentlessly. I feel a bit responsible, seeing as I'm the one that pretended to sleep so he wouldn't worry. 

"But Rogue was asleep! I'm sure of it!" the poor guy looks down at me pleadingly, as if I could tell her its true. I just shrug up at him. 

"Wait, Rogue?" we both freeze. 

"Uh, yes, that's what I've been calling her, since, well, you never gave me her name..." we wait in tense silence as we wait for Harpy's reaction. She flicks her tail a few times, swishing her large wings lost in thought. 

"I like it. She can keep that name" I finally relax, and Acinonyx lets out the breathe he was holding in. 

"I like it too"

We all whirl around in surprise to see the owner of the new voice.