Chapter 24

(Darkstalker's picture as promised. He's not showing up quite yet, for another chapter, but I was to impatient to show it. Hope it looks alright)

I spent three entire days reading and copying.

Reading, and copying.

By the end of the third day, my eyes hurt and I was fed up with reading.

But, I learned a lot. 

The war for instance, really was started over Darkstalker's family. That I know. What I didn't know, was the fact Darkstalker's dad was also an animus. Makes sense. What doesn't, is that according to Nightwing history, Void doesn't exist. According to what they knew, the Icewing queen had no other animus children.

I bet she kept him a secret, a weapon. Still, a bit odd she kept him imprisoned instead of letting him have his own family and dragonets who could have possibly been animus's. 

I wasn't there, so I can't say anything for sure at this point.

I also read though, about a Seawing who was Darkstalker's friend. Another animus! So many in one place, all different tribes too. What a time to be alive. 

But apparently, the Seawing, prince Fathom, was supposed to teach Darkstalker to be careful with his magic. I guess that must have failed in the end. Or at least according to Nightwing ghost stories. Siiiiiigh.

Anyways, him, Clearsight, and Fathom were apparently all very close. The perfect buddy trio. 

There's nothing recent enough though that tells how it all went wrong.

They went into detail a bit about a few spells Darkstalker did. One, well, technically three of them, were to make the dreamvisitors. Those I've heard about before. They allow you to visit other dragons dreams, and travel around the continent a lot in the next couple years. Very important to other dragons I'll never meet.

The next main one, is the Icewing shield. 

I'm guessing that's what that feeling was when I passed over the mountains, and an explanation for those bones. 

Any Icewing that tries to cross through it instantly dies. Not a very good example of magic used for 'goos', but they were in a war, and the queen asked for it. Not like he had much choice to decline it at the time.

No other spells are listed, so I'm guessing he never really told anyone about his others but his closest friends. I'd do the same really. 

But all this is so frustrating. It doesn't tell me what I need to know at all. 

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

All the nightwings that witnessed what happened left, so, what I really need to do, is go to the new night kingdom to find the answers.

Ohhh but will that be a long trip. I could use their secret tunnel to get there faster, but every future I see with that idea leads to a darker path, one I can't see yet.

But flying is just as bad, so many different ways I could get killed by freak storms and exhaustion. I don't want to risk it. 

Jade mountain academy doest exist yet, but if it did, it would have been easy to find scrolls there. 

All these options are spinning around my head, and it's getting hard to think clearly with so many ideas floating around flashing different warning signs.

Maybe a swim will clear my head a bit.

I end up under the waves again at the beach, thinking better with the cool waves on my back and wings.

There's... one more option.

A dangerous one.

Maybe even a stupid one.

But for some reason, it's the safest one I see.

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...I'm going to find Darkstalker himself to ask him directly.