Chapter 29

Rogue...

I wasn't sure how long Darkstalker had been awake watching me, I only knew when he decided to scare me to death while I was distracted reading.

One second I was lost in thought at my desk, writing down some of my questions and reading up on tree species, when he thought it was a good idea to pounce on my tail.

"AAAHHHH!!!" I almost jump out of my skin as he sits there innocently, smiling wide. 

"Morning"

"Never do that again" 

He just laughs at me, sidestepping the scroll pile to stand next to me.

"Besides being underground for a Pyrrha forsaken amount of time, I was still a kid like you more when I ended up there Rogue. I still like to have fun" 

The goofy expression he has and how much more friendly he seems all of a sudden causes me to smile back.

"How old were you anyways when you were put down there?"

"Seven. Wait no, six actually"

My first question answered, and makes me feel a bit safer in his presence. Me being 5 now, almost 6, close to his age. Well, mental age anyways.

Does that mean... That he was already that dangerous even as a dragonet still??? That thought was troubling. At least she knew she hadn't done anything bad yet at the same age as him.

"What, why is that so surprising? I was a prodigy, almost the smartest dragon in our tribe. It would have been foolish not to be scared of me"

For a second I think he's read my thoughts, but there's no way because-

"Oh that's neat. I was feeling your exact emotions. Another thing that magic connected us with? Oh! Try feeling mine"

He scrunches his face as though trying very hard to concentrate on throwing his feelings at me. I know he's just being silly doing that, but I do feel something from him. Loneliness. 

"Your lonely?"

He stops instantly, and the sorrow in his eyes becomes visible.

"Yes, I am. I, I miss Clearsight. My friends. My sister. I had so many plans for all of us, and myself. I wanted to do great things still!"

It sounds eerily familiar to what I've thought of before, and how I wanted to make a difference.

"But now, I can't. What exactly are you going to do with me after you get your answers? Put me back under that mountain? Or-"

"You can come with me. I would never put you back to sleep" I interrupt him, making that clear. I would never trap anyone like that ever. 

He looks a bit more relieved, and feels that way too.

"Ah, well, that's good to know... Where exactly are you going Rogue?"

I tap a talon softly as I think over how to answer. When I first heard his name it triggered several visions that I can barely picture now. That vision of a pink tree. I don't think a tree like that exists in all of Pyrrhia. And that dragon made of seemingly bones as well. 

But the last image had been an endless ocean. 

"I'm not sure yet, I mean, I'm not sure how to find it yet is all. But let's focus on more important things for now. I have questions, you have answers.

His handsome face falls at that, but he sweeps his wings dramatically a moment.

"Whatever you say, oh powerful Rogue! Where would you like me to start?"

A pang of deja vu hits me, him posing the exact way Void did in that cave after he and I ran from the ice kingdom. Oh how I miss my old friend.

"The very beginning"

I'm sorry

I'm not allowed to set deadlines for chapters anymore. I literally promised a new chapter a week ago. Idk, something about this one was really hard for me to write. But it's done now! Even if it's short. Ok, thanks for reading :)

-Logatos