Chapter 10

Rogue... 

I wake up to see blue flames glowing in my sights, entrancing me momentarily before I take in my surroundings.

"Morning" I turn to see Void sitting by the other side of the fire staring into it like me.

And just like that everything rushes back.

The earring.

The vision.

The bodies. 

Flying away.

Tears prick at my eyes, but I hold them back. I can cry after I've put together a plan. Mourning can wait.

"I'm surprised your holding it together so well, seeing as how young you are" he comments.

I pull myself up to my feet stiffly, still feeling the cold deep in my bones. I realize I'm still an Icewing.

I turn the dial to normal, and Void watches me curiously as my scales shift once more.

"Where did you get that?" 

"I made it" I feel my normal purplish scales in relief. I feel just a tiny bit better this way. 

"So, your an Animus too then?" 

"Yeah" 

Concern coats his features.

"What about your soul? You made that ring too right?"

"My souls fine. I took care of that a long time ago" I gently feel the silver band on my horn, feeling thankful for it.

"Took care of it? You mean... it's possible to protect yourself and have your powers?"

I tilt my head at him quizzically.

"Yes. It's really simple actually" he hangs his head deep in thought.

"Well, it's too late for me anyways. Alright, so, what's your story strange dragon? You already know everything there is to me" 

I feel very worried about his first comment, but let it go this time. 

Instead I tell him everything. From the moment I hatched to the vision I had when I met him. After, he's quiet for a bit, before looking at me in awe.

"You did all that, by yourself? As a hatchling? I wish I could have done even one of those things"

"Huh?"

He looks at me seriously, white eyes burning.

"Rogue, I can definitely say for certain you are the smartest dragon I've ever met. Don't doubt yourself now. We'll figure something out" 

I smile at him.

And at the same time my stomach growls in annoyance. It's been almost two days since I've eaten anything. 

Void smirks.

"Can I go hunt for you now, oh powerful Rogue?" He's only joking, but I know he actually does need my permission.

"Of course prince Void, you must be hungry yourself" I try to sound regal, but I know I just sound ridiculous.

"As you wish your majesty" he winks and slips out into the snow, barely visible with his pure white scales.

While he's gone, it gives me time to think about the future. 

Hundreds of paths lead ahead, and most of them I do think would be reasonable ones, with quiet and relaxing lives. But I don't really want a 'relaxing' life. Void's right. I'm a very smart dragon. I've already found ways to safely use my power and utilize it in helpful and practical ways. And even then I'm extremely careful and use magic as a last resort. 

I could do very important things. Things that could be world changing and earth shattering. 

In order to get there though, I have a lot of things to do first. One of those things is to keep Void by my side at all times. As I'm seeing now exactly how unstable he can be. So soon I'm going to have to find a safe way to help him.

But my heart was still torn. If she didn't do certain things perfectly, everything could turn bad fast.

I vow then and there no matter what happens I'll make sure Void is safe and happy.

"I hath returned your majesty!" Void startles me out of my silence with his sudden entrance. And shockingly, he drags in two reindeer behind him. 

"Here" he tosses over a leg of one, and I give him a look of appreciation before digging in. I'm used to eating more plants than meats, but I still like it.

He also takes his fill, and once we've both decided we can't eat another bite, we start talking.

"So, what's next your majesty? We going to the sky kingdom? Mud? Sea? The possibilities are endless" 

I ponder his words, some of them coinciding with plans I already had. But I had already made my decision. 

"We're going to the sand kingdom"

(Sorry it's a little short, but I wanted to end it dramatically)