Chapter 19

(Dragon above might be a character later maybe haven't decided fully yet, but he is an original hybrid oc of mine I recently made. A small gift of apology for taking so long to finish this chapter)

The wind guided me for hours under the bright sun before I saw the ridge of mountains in the distance.

Usually, I don't like to use my magic for small things, that way I don't rely on it too much, but I did use a small spell to heal my sore muscles so I wouldn't fall out of the sky earlier. Seemed like a good call to make.

A part of me didn't think I'd actually make it, even with magic helping me.

I wouldn't have guessed it to be down here by the end of the sand kingdom, my running theory was in the rainforest. But this makes more sense.

Drifting closer and gently lifting over the sharp peaks, I feel a small jolt, as though I touched cold metal. It disrupts my flying momentarily.

When I fall for a moment, I see below me the bones.

Hundreds of dragon bones line the inside of the range, all pale and sharp, as though someone broke several of them in half on purpose.

I right myself and drift over them to look closer. They all look like... Icewing bones? Makes sense. They did have a war with the old kingdom. But it's been thousands of years, so why are they still so undesturbed? Almost preserved.

(Heh, rhyme)

Turning away, I gasp in shock at the sight before me.

The inky black castle is taller than the tallest peak I've ever seen, and windows and doors gape at me from the skeletal creation. Its spiked towers rise from the ground precariously, a few of them with large gaping holes in them.

I gaze into the valley below it, at the large canyons dug deep into the earth as though the entire kingdom had tried to pry itself apart.

From here, I can see several ledges below in what seem like caves. Makes sense, building homes below instead of above with a less spread out kingdom. I'm hesitant to explore there now, seeing the deep darkness down below.

I make my way closer to the dark towers, I wonder a bit why this one dragon caused an entire tribe to just, leave.

I know, magic is dangerous sure, but how could it have gone so bad?

Circling a bit, taking in a good spot to land I finally decent into the castle from the front archway. My talons land a bit roughly on the dusty stones. Surprisingly, it doesn't echo like I had assumed. Kinda disappointing.

I tentatively make my way down the long twisting hallways, trying not to damage it any further. I'm stepping into a castle older than 2,000 years, so, doesn't hurt to move slowly.

Even after all this time though, the castle is still very beautiful. It looks like all the walls are covered in mirrors, most of them broken or covered in grime. Guess rain gets in here somehow.

Most of the rooms look the same, well, at least the ones with open doors do. A few of them are different color themes it seems. I continue on till I end up next to two double doors much larger than the rest.

I open it hoping to find the throne room but to my surprise, it seems to be the queens chambers.

They didn't seem to be as worn down, and there was no water damage unlike other rooms she's seen. Must be built a bit different.

For now, this will be my new base, till I leave here.

Hopefully I'll find all the answers I need quickly.

(Sorry about the long wait, and how short it is. Lost my rhythm for a bit. I'll do better I promise)