Chapter 21

Ok, so, first thing I did wasn't to find the library. First I hunted a mountain goat. 

Then I looked. It took a few hours to notice the small but grand entrance to the large building, but finally I had towards the middle of the day. 

I'm surprised it took me so long actually. At the front of it the pillars themselves have words etched into them, like pages of a scroll. 

It's hard to read, so I just decide I can try at a later time as I step inside. I'm not crazy about scrolls, but, I do love them still. Often I'd have spare time to read both in the ice and sand kingdoms. When I wasn't drawing or helping out, I was reading.

I grew extremely fond of fantasy settings over historical ones, but read both equally anyways. It's good to learn anything and everything when given an opportunity.

That's why when I see the inside of the once glorious building I'm heartbroken.

What once was probably a beautiful, warm area to relax and read in is now dark and cold, hundreds of scroll slots lining the walls with decaying paper and wood. Upon closer inspection, it almost looks like it's rotting before my very eyes. 

If I want to learn anything from this place, I'll need to use my powers again. Although I wish I didn't have too. I feel like lately I've been relying on it a little too much. Not much to be done about it though.

I want to read and restore all of them, but that could mess up the future. Not too many years from now the nightwings return here to start restoring everything themselves, and, a very specific Nightwing dragonet will be very excited to stay here. 

I can almost see her now, flying back and forth between slots to read the decaying scrolls excitedly. 

Sigggghhhh. 

I'll have to come up with some sort of solution to that, something I won't need to use much magic for. 

I pace around as I think, taking in the other rooms of the vast library as well. It's amazingly organized considering how long it's been here. The method of sorting then and how they were put away seemed interesting. Although I couldn't know more yet till later.

Still, it was easy to imagine it as it was, before everyone left, dragons flying back and forth in quiet silence, the firelight lighting their way as they check in and out several scrolls at a time to young dragonets from school and older dragons like generals looking through old battle plans and strategy books.

Eventually I see something that gives me an excellent idea. 

A metal cylinder left on the stone floor catches my eye. Picking it up, I see its an ark, or a scroll holder. Most dragons use these to carry around more delicate paper. Its perfect for what I have in mind. 

Picking up the rusty item, I decide to give it a simple spell, and, fix it up a little.

(Decided to draw it so it's easier to picture it)

The rust fades away to a shining metal, and three bright purple gems seemingly grow from the sides

The rust fades away to a shining metal, and three bright purple gems seemingly grow from the sides. There. Lovely. 

I don't like being over the top with magic items, but I don't think it's fair to leave them destroyed or broken looking. It's rude if you ask me. 

Now, for the real spell.

"Enchant this ark to replicate any scroll it touches without damaging it, creating a brand new version of it without any wear or tear inside" seems simple enough. 

I decide to test it on the nearest shelf. A rotted out husk of a scroll sits on its own on a taller shelf, just barely recognizable as an actual piece of parchment. 

I tap it ever so gently, hoping upon hope that I don't accidentally make it worse.

But it's fine.

And, for a moment, the gems alongside the holder light up. 

Well, time to see the results.

Lifting off the lid shakily, I see inside a very not destroyed and perfect looking scroll. Unrolling it, I see it's some young dragonets homework that's half finished. 

It works! 

I hop in the air a moment in jubilation. One step closer to my goal. 

The rest of the day I walk and fly around the entire library, and by the time I'm done I leave with a bag of over 50 restored scrolls. I made sure to mark the cubby's of all the ones I already got so tomorrow I don't accidentally make copies. 

I wanted to start reading right away, but, I need to sleep. 

So I do, setting my overfilled scroll bag next to the desk. At this rate, I should be able to learn everything I need to about the nightwings and Darkstalker within the year.

The next morning my wings are still sore from all the flying around I've been doing. I'm still not as used to moving around so much, having gotten used to the slow days at the orphanage. I refuse to use magic to deal with it, so I walk. This turns out to be a very bad decision. 

It takes me about 6 minutes to get lost in the castle again. 

Ide forgotten how frustrating this place can be. Can't believe I didn't think about making a map of this place first. But my determination to use magic as little as possible still stops me. 

So I trudge along up and down stairs and through several hallways before coming across an odd room. 

Unlike all the others, it's wide open, and piles of rotted paper spill out of it's entrance into the hall. Taking a closer look, I see the entire floor of the small room is the same. How weird. 

I decide to tap as many scrolls as I can with my new ark, too curious to go back to wandering the hallways again. 

I pull out the first one and take a quick look at it.

And my heart skips a beat.

:D     

;)