twenty-five

-CHICAGO, SUMMER 2017

the trumpet of Carl's alarm woke Tess up. "what the fuck, Carl?" she muttered, stretching out her arms. "sorry." he said, turning the alarm off and kissing Tess. Tessa just grinned and rolled over.

"what the hell time is it?" Ian mumbled, waking up to the alarm as well. "oh five thirty." Carl said, getting out of bed and leaving the room. "i love that he's trying to stay disciplined, but does he really gotta wake the whole house up?" Tess asked Ian. "no." Ian groaned.

"yo, Tess tell your fucking military major to turn down his alarm. he's waking up the whole fucking house." Lip exclaimed, walking into the room. Lip received a middle finger as Tessa rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.

after an hour of no sleep, Tess went downstairs. "mornin' Gallaghers." Tess yawned. "mornin' Tess." Carl said, as he flipped pancakes. she walked over and wrapped her arms around her boyfriend's waist, laying her head on his chest.

"is that grits?" Fiona asked, walking into the kitchen. "and eggs, flapjacks, sausage, and biscuits, and breakfast meats." he replied, plating up food for Liam, who was sat at the counter. Tess moved with Carl, arms still wrapped around his waist.

"Tess," Carl laughed, "go sit. i'll get you some food." "fine." Tess pouted, going and sitting next to Liam. Carl talked to Fiona while making Tess a plate and a cup of coffee.

"how are you gonna eat all that?" Liam asked, looking at Carl's plate. "i gotta stay combat ready for the fall. i'm a cadet corporal now. corporals deal with hell week. oh, i can't wait to torture those little seventh grade fuckers." Carl explained.

"well, cadet corporal Carl Gallagher better learn to set his internal alarm, or we will not be having sleepovers anymore." Tess said, getting up and digging through her backpack. "but, Tess." Carl whined. Tess just shrugged, taking her handful of meds.

"you sell my meth yet?" Ian asked, coming downstairs. "moved Debbie's yesterday. next, Lip's. then yours." Carl told the redhead, who hugged Tess giving her head a kiss.

"hey, i can't move it all at once, could attract cartel attention." Carl stated. "shouldn't be moving it at all." Tess rolled her eyes. "i'm being careful." Carl said, turning to look at her. "whatever." Tess said, grabbing her bag and going upstairs.

"fuck." Carl muttered, taking off his apron. "she still pissed?" Ian asked, with a mouth full of food. "yeah. i mean i get it. it's dangerous, but she's not gonna get over it till i move it all. so let's maybe not talk about it anymore." Carl explained, before going upstairs.

he knocked on the bathroom door, and then opened it. "Tess?" he said, cautiously opening the door. "what?" she asked, starting the shower. "what's wrong?" he questioned, as Tess moved to the sink and he followed her.

"nothing." she mumbled. "Tess, please." he pleaded, grabbing her wrist and spinning her around. "fine. i don't like that your moving meth. i am terrified of you ending up back in juvie, or worse prison. you are 16 now. they could try you as an adult. we're talking 10 to 20 years, Carl." Tess rambled.

"okay. i'm almost done, and then i'm out. i'm not going back to the corner." Carl told the blonde, putting his hands on her cheeks. "i know." Tess nodded. Carl could tell the girl was gonna cry.

he hugged her, running his hands through her hair. after they pulled away Carl leaned down and kissed the girl. "i love you." he grinned. "i love you too." Tess smiled, running her hands over his chest.

"go shower." he said, handing her a towel. she nodded and Carl went to
leave, "oh, the hot tub is getting delivered today." Carl left and Tess got in the shower. after her shower she changed into jean shorts and one of Carl's tee-shirts.