forty-five

"hey." Tessa yawned, walking into the kitchen. "hey." Carl smiled, filling his coffee cup. "hey." a third voice chimed in. "Kelly?" Tessa asked, rubbing her eyes. "hey, Tess." the teen smiled.

"you didn't tell me someone was coming over." Tessa whispered, before kissing Carl. "you were sleeping." he said, kissing her back, "Kelly is helping me with my hardship essay." "ahh." Tessa nodded, as Carl wrapped an arm around her waist.

"mama." Cora exclaimed, running into the kitchen. "CJ." she said, leaning down and picking up the toddler. "i'm hungry." Cora told her mom. "okay." Tessa nodded, walking over to the fridge with the toddler on her hip.

Cora decided on pancakes, so Tess started making them. the small blonde also requested to go outside, so Tess opened the back slider and let Cora into the backyard. the screen door to the pool was shut and locked, so Cora couldn't get to the pool.

"Carl, can you go get Cora?" Tess asked, looking over to her boyfriend. he nodded, before walking out the open backdoor. Tess heard Carl yelling for their daughter as he walked out into the backyard. it was quiet, except for the small talk between Kelly and Tess, until there was a splash into the pool.

Tessa dropped everything she was doing and ran out into the backyard. Carl emerged from the water with Cora in his arms. Tessa stopped in her tracks as Carl laid their daughter onto the pool deck, and started CPR. she heard Kelly say something about calling 911, but didn't respond.

she wasn't breathing. she wasn't moving. and neither was Tess. they didn't know how long she was in the water for. Kelly was in the phone with 911, and they were asking. "grab Tess's phone and check the cameras." Carl told the teen.

he told Kelly the password and how to find the app. "it shows here. she crawled through the doggy door. the time stamps shows her falling in at 9:34 and you getting her out at 9:40. 6 minutes. she was only under for 6 minutes." Kelly told the dispatcher.

Carl glanced back at Tessa and noticed her pinching at her arm. "Kelly, hold Tessa's hand." Carl yelled, not stopping CPR. "wha-" "just do it." Carl yelled. Kelly reached over and grabbed Tess's hand.

a few minutes later the ambulance arrived and they came to the backyard and loaded CJ onto a gurney. Carl rode with her in the back of the ambulance, because Tessa still hadn't  come to her senses. Kelly made sure that the doors were locked and loaded Tessa up into her truck.

"was she breathing?" Tessa asked, as she finally came too. "no. not when they loaded her up." Kelly stated, as they trailed the ambulance. "where's my phone?" Tessa asked, feeling her pockets for her phone.

"here." Kelly said, handing it to her, "i had to check the cameras. the dispatcher was asking how long she was under for." "how long?" Tessa questioned, typing on the screen. "6 minutes." Kelly stated.

Tessa called her mom, and told her and then called Lip. "hey." Lip said, answering the phone. "Lip?" Tessa asked, as he picked up. "what's wrong, Tess?" he asked, noticing the panic in the girls voice. "we're on the way to the hospital and i need you to meet us there." Tessa cried.

"what happened?" Lip asked, Tessa could hear him picking things up in the background. "Cora fell in the pool and drowned. she was under for 6 minutes before Carl found her." Tessa sobbed. "what's going on?" Tess heard someone ask in the background.

"my brothers kid drowned." Lip stated, still rummaging around, "i'm on my way, Tess." "okay, please hurry." Tessa pleaded, still crying. "i will. i love you." Lip nodded. "i love you." Tess said, before hanging up the phone.

when they got to the hospital they rushed in through the ER bay, Tess followed the gurney with Cora on it into a trauma room. Kelly stayed back in the waiting room, while Carl and Tess went with their daughter.