thirty-seven

-CHICAGO, SUMMER 2018

Carl had been gone for 6 months, and the first month of him being gone was a struggle for Tess. eventually she got into a routine. her dad had hired someone to watch Cora at the office, so Tess could work and still go see her daughter anytime she pleased.

Tessa also started looking into her dad's business. more importantly the shady side. she had kept overhearing conversations between her father and some other Spanish man on the phone. she listen and gathered information, a lot of it sounding like they were describing Mickey.

Tess had also become a lot closer with Stella. Stella had helped her a lot in the last few months. coming over to watch Cora when Tess had to run errands. giving Tess a shoulder to cry on when she was having a hard time. not to mention, their two girl had become best friends.

"who's  1 today?" Tessa asked, walking into Cora's room. "me." CJ smiled, pointing at herself. "que?" (what?) Tessa asked in Spanish. "a mí." (me.) Cora said in Spanish. "sí." (yes.) Tessa exclaimed, picking Cora up out of her crib and swinging her around.

Tess had thought about raising Cora to be bilingual, and when bringing it up to her parents her father strongly encouraged it. Tessa would say that one of the best things she learned growing up was Spanish. so, after talking to Carl about it Tess started easing Cora into speaking Spanish.

"what movie do you wanna watch while mommy gets ready?" Tessa asked, plopping Cora down onto her bed. "junle book." Cora said, looking up at Tessa. "Jungle Book it is." Tessa said turning on the TV.

Tess turned on the movie and then went into her bathroom, leaving the door open. "mama?" Cora asked. "yes?" Tessa responded, looking into her bedroom while curling her hair.

"where daddy?" the toddler asked. "daddy's at school, CJ." Tessa told the little blonde. "oh." Cora said looking down into lap, where she held bear-bear. "daddy's gonna be home in a few days, and we're gonna have so much fun." Tessa stated, jumping onto the bed, after putting down her curling iron.

"zoo?" Cora asked, looking up at her mom. "yeah, we can go to the zoo. right now we're gonna get ready for you birthday, though." Tessa smiled, getting up and going back to her bathroom. "Lexi?" Cora asked. "yeah, Lexi's gonna be there." Tessa nodded.

Cora's favorite animal was a bear, so that was the theme for her birthday. Tessa changed her into the cutest yellow dress with bears on it, and put her hair into two buns to represent ears.

the Gallagher's and Stella had both come over early to help set up. Cora played with Lexi, as Tess sat and talk to Fiona and Stella. "have you talked to Carl?" Stella asked, pouring herself a drink. "yeah. he said that he didn't know if he would make it. said there isn't any busses leaving today." Tessa said, as she set up the cupcakes.

"i'm sure he's trying his best, Tessa." Fiona said, helping with the cupcakes. "yeah, i know he is. it just sucks. Cora keeps asking about him." Tessa sniffled, wiping her nose. after they calmed her down, guest started to arrive.

Tess walked around with CJ, as they greeted guest. some of them being family, and some being co-workers that Tess was close with. "where bear-bear?" Cora asked, pulling on her mom's hand. "where'd you put him?" Tessa asked her toddler.

Cora just looked around, and pointed to the couch. Tessa picked up her daughter, and went over to the couch. "can you guys get up for a sec? Cora lost her bear." Tessa asked, and they all got up off the couch. she looked around, not seeing it.

"it's not there, CJ." Tessa told her. this set Cora off. she started crying. she never cried. "we'll find it don't worry." Tessa said, trying to calm Cora. Tess made her way to the top of the stairs, with Cora in her hip.