forty-nine

"mama." Cora called, from the living room, "no more Taylor." "what?" Tessa asked, walking into the living room. "gone." the blonde shrugged, looking up at the black TV screen. Tessa picked up the remote and tried to turn it back on.

"the powers out." Tessa stated, looking down at her daughter. Tess didn't notice due to the windows that lined the living room and kitchen. the house got a lot of natural light, reducing the need to turn on the lights.

"hey Lori, can i take this call really quick?" Carl asked his new boss at the Shrimp Shack. Tess told Carl that she could get him a better job, but he refused. "girlfriend?" the older woman asked. "yeah, actually." Carl nodded, "but it could be about my daughter."

"yeah, but we're talking about this later." Lori told the teen. "okay." Carl nodded, before walking out the back door. "what's up baby?" Carl asked, answering the phone. "did you pay the electric bill?" Tess questioned on the other end

"yeah, yesterday." the teen replied, "why?" "powers out. CJ's not very happy about the lack of Taylor Swift right now." Tessa smiled, looking down at her daughter. "you sure it CJ who's not happy?" Carl joked.

"CJ tell daddy how mad you are about how Taylor Swift isn't playing anymore." Tess instructed, handing her daughter the phone. "daddy?" Cora asked, holding the phone up to her ear. "hi, princess." Carl smiled thinking about the blonde.

"no more Taylor." the blonde told him. "i'm so sorry." he said. "come home?" Cora asked, looking up at her mom. "not yet, baby." Tess frowned, looking down at her daughter. "yeah, i'm working princess. i'll be home later though." Carl explained.

"okay." she frowned. "say bye to daddy." Tessa told the girl. "bye daddy." CJ grinned. "bye princess. love you." Carl smiled, hearing Cora hand the phone back to Tess.

"bye, daddy. have fun at work." Tessa smirked. "daddy, huh?" Carl questioned. "CJ said it first." Tessa defended. "right." Carl shook his head, "bye, love you." "love you too." Tessa smiled, before hanging up the phone.

Tess took Cora upstairs and changed her, before getting dressed herself. she loaded up the girl in the Carl and they drove to the Southside. when they pulled up to their destination, Tessa got Cora out of the car and went to the door.

she pulled in the door and realized it was locked. she glanced in and made eye contact with Carl. he immediately smiled, and ran to the door. Tess watched as he turned to the older woman and she came over and unlocked the door.

"daddy." Cora exclaimed, running in and hugging her dad, who was crouched down. "princess." he smiled, picking her up and swinging her around.

"you must be the girlfriend." the blonde lady smiled. "uh yeah. Tessa." Tess furrowed her eyebrows. "Lori." she greeted, reaching out her hand, which Tessa shook, "i'm Carl's boss."

"right." Tessa nodded, glancing over to Carl who just shrugged. "this must be your daughter." Lori said, turning to Carl. "yeah. Cora." Carl nodded, looking to the blonde on his hip. "she's cute." Lori smiled.  "thank you." Tessa interjected.

"hey. Lori- woah who's kid?" one of the guys asked, coming out of the back. "mine." Carl replied, turning to face them. "yo, little man's gotta kid." he yelled into the back, making two other guys come out.

"aren't you like 15?" one of the guys asked. "17." Carl corrected, as the guys came and crowded around Cora. "can i have him for the rest of the day?" Tessa asked Lori. "i suppose so. we have to close shop anyway." Lori shrugged. "thank you." Tessa smiled, before walking over to Carl.

"okay daddy, we're going home." Tessa smirked, grabbing Carl's hand. Carl just looked at Tessa and shook his head. "okay. bye, baby." he said, kissing Cora's head. "no, you're coming with." Tessa smiled at her boyfriend. "hell yeah." he exclaimed, handing Tess Cora and taking off his apron.