37) Battle Scars

Before I open my eyes, I hear my pants of fear mixed in with the beeping of a machine.

I hadn't had a nightmare like the one I just experienced in quite some time. Living with my mate came with many advantages, one being sharing a bed with him, which gave me the peace of fighting off my nightmares.

This being the case, I had concluded that I was alone in bed before I pried my eyes open. They retaliate at the light streaming into my room, and upon their focusing, I realize this couldn't be further from the room I share with Theo.

The walls are a bright white, and cabinets line the walls in a boring, off-white speckled print. The floors are another shade of eggshell, and the room as a whole smells like disinfectant. My body tremors and I feel an odd sensation of coldness in my veins. When I look down, I find an IV in my hand that brings me some sort of saline solution.

I'm in a hospital, this much I know. But why?

I recall the events of the night before and come to realize that my dreams weren't some nightmare my head had conjured up, but real-life events that had taken place hours before. Thinking of it made my head pound, so much so that I massaged my temples to alleviate the stress that took over my body remembering it. Alosious was going to mark me, he was going to steal me away, and he was going to have his way with me. There wasn't any way around it. I would have lost myself if Theo hadn't found me.

My body buzzes when I think of what conspired next.

Just when my recollection had gotten good, the door slams open. I whirl my head to come face to face with my two best friends.

Mallory and Jessie share a similar look of disbelief and happiness. My head begins to throb again, and I allow it to rest back on the hospital bed while they gawk at me.

"I'm so glad you're alive," Mallory chokes out, her face hard and trying to keep her emotions down. "Because I'm going to kill you."

I laugh, but it comes out strangled. I know they both are mad at me, but I honestly didnt know if I would see them again. Being in the same room as them makes me beyond happy.

They both make their way over to me, squeezing me gently on either side. There is little room beside me on my bed, but they both shimmy their way in, careful to not obstruct the IV tube. I typically would feel claustrophobic from the lack of room, but I can't help but welcome it with open arms today.

"When did I get here?"

A small string of silence fills the air after my question. I almost look up to see what the big deal is, but Jessie beats me to it.

Her caramel hair jumps into view, then her worried blue eyes. " You came in last night. Theo hauled you in and wouldn't let anyone in for a bit. When the boys returned, he left in a hurry, and asked us to stay with you."

I know the answer already, but I ask regardless. "Where are they?"