6) The Drive Back

After practically shoving Mal into the car since she couldn't stand in her own two feet, I got in the car and started driving to her house.

"Ade, I'm going to say it," she begins as if she's about to tell me something groundbreaking. She leans in from the passenger seat until she is a few inches away from my ear. "I feel a little buzzed."

I shake my head. After I stop at the stoplight I turn to her. "No Mallory, you are really drunk"

Her nose scrunched up. "I'm not drunk."

"You just said you feel drunk."

"No I didn't."

I sigh. I don't have the patience for this. "Mallory, im telling you, you're drunk." How did Jess get lucky enough to get a ride home from Levi.

Her face contorts in this sudden anger, as if I just suggested something terrible.

"Are you calling me a liar?" 

I'm about to lose it.

"Your just mad because you didn't get to dance without your clothes with that sexy masked man!"

After no reaction from me, she abruptly leans over and rhythmically honks the horn chanting, "Adeline has a boner".

When I can't take it any longer, I look over at her slowly, and she abruptly comes to a stop with her rant. She stares at me, while I glare at her, counting in my head. I had almost regained myself enough to talk to her again.

And then she beeps the horn again.

I look back in my rearview mirror to see my best friend passed out in the backseat I moved her to. As soon as I pulled over and got her in the back, she was gone. It's been about 10 minutes of silence that I have needed since she felt the need to mess with the horn. I look back to the road as I turn into her neighborhood.

I admire all the gorgeous houses that I envy. In comparison to my house, they all seem unimaginable.

"You come live with me Ade." A squeak come from the backseat as if she heard my thoughts. I turn to see Mallory waking up and looking at me. I turn back around and frown.

"No Mal, I can't."

"Why not?"

I grip the steering wheel tighter. "You know why I can't."

There I quiet silence.

"Is it your dad?"

"Mallory," I say, my voice lower than I expected," Don't call that man my father."