10) Car Dealership

We walk back to his car a few blocks down hand in hand. I've accepted the fact that this is all unbelievable but true. I wasn't sure at first, but I knew Theo was being serious. He knew there was no way around telling me the situation, and he came clean to me.

I asked him about his "key to the city" and he told me that many businesses around her were owned by people from his pack. He was an overseer so it made sense for him to have a universal key. Though I found it bizarre he should be entrusted with a task seeing as he's a third of the age younger than many of the owners, I appreciated he was being so honest with me.

Telling the truth isn't easy. And he didn't take the easy way out. I respect him for that.

If only I could tell him my truth too.

We get back in the car, and Theo immediately grabs my hand again.

I don't tease him about being apart from him for too long because I like it when we touch. It still has an effect on me.

"Are you warm enough?" He asks. I lean my cheek on our intertwined hands.

"Yeah. Why, are you?"

He chuckles. "I don't remember the last time I was cold. I'm naturally always warm."

I nod, and close my eyes, trying to pause the moment before we get too close to my house.

But everything comes to a halt when I realize we are right in front of my house. I open my eyes and frown facing the window. I hate being here. But, I cover it up when I turn around to face Theo.

"Thank you for tonight."

"Thank you for trusting me."

Just by looking into his eyes, I can tell he means it. Almost as a reflex, I look at his lips, which he must notice. He starts leaning in, but right before we make contact, I turn my head to kiss his cheek. A smile appears on both of our faces, and I open my door before he can reach me. I close it and look through the window with a goofy expression on my face.

"Adeline!" Theo yells after me with amusement in his voice.

"Goodbye Theo Holdin!" I exclaim, speed-walking off into the house.

He shakes his head, and I wait for him to drive off before I open the door. I close it softly after me and immediately fall onto the closed door.

I shake my head, a small smile on my face.

Dammit, Theo. Why do you already make me feel this way?

I start walking up to my room when I hear my name being whispered. I stop in my tracks and cringe. My mom heard me.

I walk into the kitchen, a blank look on my face, stopping in front of my mother.

"Where were you?"

"I told you, I was out," I say, referring to when I told my mom I might be home a few hours late.

"No, you didn't."

"It's not like you would care," I mumble.

"Don't talk to me like that, Ade."

"Right. Because I talk to you like you are nothing, that's great. Glad we talked this out."

I start my way back upstairs, but she stops me again.

"Honey, you don't understand-" my mom's voice wavers as her eyes tear up.

"Honey?" My voice cracks out. I shake my head. "You don't call me that. You lost the right to call me anything a long time ago. Never call me that."