33) Into the Woods

After my bath, Theo attempts to make me some food, which is a foul attempt at best, but an attempt all the same. The apple pie he made had the consistency of a strange meat and tasted like firewood, but I was grateful all the same.

I couldn't help but let my lip twitch when he started mumbling about how he should have ordered food in the first place. He was so thoughtful and caring, I didn't deserve him.

Especially after what I planned on doing tonight.

After I refused food for the fourth time, he finally gave up and carried me to the bedroom. He sat me down on the plush bed and I told him that Id like to put a movie on to distract my mind. He obliged, and we settled on some action movie that I didnt care much for but wasnt too worried about in the first place. My mind was elsewhere.

I only got one shot at this. If I didnt, this was all on me. I couldnt let another mistake be on me, this had to be just right. It would just make it so much easier if he got to be in on it.

I peer up at Theo in the corner of my eye. I can tell hes not fully amused by the movie either, but he lays  complacently for what he believes is my benefit. Ive caught him looking over at me periodically, which I cant entirely blame him for. Ive been quiet. Too quiet. Id be on edge if I were in his shoes too.

Once the movie is over, I decide to wing this and try my best to get out of here.

"Theo," I begin, my voice void of emotion and not even sounding like my own, "I think I want to go to bed now."

His eyes meet mine and soften at my request. "Youve had a really long and hard day, my love, I think sleep is a great idea."

My heart aches at the mention of today, and my mothers face appears in my head. I have to bit my tongue to keep the sob lodged in my throat down.

I cant get distracted. Not when so much is on the line.

Covers rustle. Lights turn off. And silence creeps into the room. Theo spoons me, his arms protecting every angle of me. I cant help but just stare straight into the darkness. What has my life come to? Where do I even go from here?

"Mia Rosa," Theos deep voice vibrates through my back, "You are so quiet. Do you not want to talk about it at all? Im worried about you."

I shake my head instantly. "No, I cant right now."

Theo sighs, and presses me firmer into him. "Ok, baby. You promise you will tell me when the time is right?"

"Promise."

I feel him shift once more, and feel a kiss on my mark. This one doesn't bring passion, but a sense of safety and protection to course through my body. It actually helps more than I thought it would, and I allow my muscles to relax slightly.

"We're going to kill him for all he has done to you, thats a promise I will not put it to rest until he is six feet under." His voice seeths, his body tensing with rage. I knew he meant every word of it.

I turn over in the covers toward him the rustling the only indication of me listening. His response is automatic, and his hand reaches out to my cheek, molding to my flesh. The sparks dance and smooth the empty aching in my chest. I sigh, an attempt to not cry when there is so much to cry for. I've lost my mother, and now, I'm about to lose his trust. I just wanted one more sweet memory of the two of us, in case things didn't work according to plan.

I lean forward and press my lips to his, which he happily obliges with. The sensual, slow promise of his support is my undoing. Plans aside, i I need to be selfish for a moment. I need him.