Chapter 26

"Hey Jungwon, hello aunty, uncle, Heeseung." The doctor bowed to my parents with a smile plastered on his face. All of us greeted him as well and settled down.

After a solid minute of silence, Jeonghan hyung spoke, "Well, you know why I called you all here, right?"

"Whatever you say Jeonghan. We said we trust you, so it will be best if you yourself make a decision. After all you know Jungwon's condition better than anyone else." dad said.

"Umm, if this is the case, then I think we should not waste more time. We have to do it as soon as possible." he said and continued. "I discussed Jungwon's case to my fellow senior doctors and the German doctors who will be operating on him as well. They said, with in fifteen days if we do this there won't be any severe complications." I shut my eyes. In fifteen days? Heeseung hyung wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"Within fifteen days?" mom asked, on the verge of crying.

"Aunty, it's the best for Jungwon"

"What's the final date?"

"Uncle I think let's go with 6th, 6th of July." he said and all of them just nodded.

He held my hand, "Jungwon, you are ready for this right?" I nodded slightly even though I wasn't ready.

It was already complicated and it became more after the forest thing. I am afraid just because I don't know if there are chances for me to survive. He asked Heeseung hyung and me to wait outside for them to discuss further details. We sat at the bench.

"Champ?" Hyung called. We both were facing a wall in front of us.

"Yes?"

"Are you afraid?"

"A bit."

"No need to be." he gave me a warm smile.

"W-what?"

"Hyung, will I make it?"

Silence. No one wished to say anything. Lump was formed in my throat. He turned to me and gave me a tight hug.

"Of course Jungwon you will. You have to." tears started flowing from my eyes. I felt very numb. What if I don't? What if something happens?

------

"Jungwon, what's wrong?" Sunoobasked as we walked to the chemistry lab. It's been five days since the date was fixed, yet I haven't told them about it, not even to Niki. The day is coming soon.

"Oh nothing. It's nothing, let's go." I said and increased my walking speed.

The teacher explained all the instructions before doing the experiment. I held the beaker in one hand and ascorbic acid in the other, as I started doing the experiment. It was a colour -determining experiment.

"Jungwon, can you pass that tube here?"Niki asked and I followed. He said thank you and smiled brightly.

'His smile is the cure of my gloomy mood. We are friends since childhood. We promised to stay together and now if something happens to me, if I break my promise, he will be so hurt. I won't be able to forgive myself even after dying. I can't see him crying. And about Jay, he still hates me. I failed to make him like me once in my lifetime. He will stay happy after I die, right? I know I'm exaggerating, but what if? I won't be able to see him, that one boy I've loved since my childhood. My friends, hyung, my parents, everyone who cares about me, I will leave them behind. I will be remembered right?'

I felt liquid pouring on my hand which brought me back to reality. The acid was over flowing from the beaker.

"Jungwon!!" Jake shrieked. Luckily that acid wasn't harmful to skin.