Chapter 13: The Generals Arrived

Four days have passed since Sheele's death. The Night Raid members suffered a devastating loss, but they were killers and they needed to move on. So, even with the loss of one of its members, life went on. There was a small funeral for Sheele the day after her death, and a grave was made for her next to those of Ieyasu and Sayo. Mine's right arm was broken by Koro, which meant someone had to help her with most daily tasks. It also meant that she was banned from any training or physical activity until her arm healed.

Tatsumi was in the kitchen, preparing food, his green eyes filled with sadness. He still felt that, indirectly, he was to blame for the death of his purple-haired friend.

Behind him, sitting at the table, Mine was trying to eat with her broken arm, as she was right-handed. However, every time she tried to pick up the spoon, the silverware fell out of her hand.

Seeing this, Akame picks up the metal utensil and brings it closer to the sniper's mouth.

Akame: Here, Mine.

Mine: Leave me alone! I can eat alone! I'm not a child!

Akame: I'm trying to help. - Says the swordswoman, calmly.

Noticing the night-black haired girl trying to help her and the fact that she couldn't manage on her own with one arm less in action, the pink-eyed tsundere surrenders.

Mine: Alright, alright...

Tatsumi looks at the scene behind him, watching Akame feed Mine, his gaze still expressionless.

Tatsumi: Sheele was killed, and yet... Akame tries to be nonchalant about it.

The boy gets sad thinking about Akame's emotional state.

Tatsumi: But I know she's as bad as I am. Sometimes, when I go to the smithy at night to take notes, I can hear muffled sobs coming from her room. Repressing her emotions won't do her any good. Later I'll talk to Akame.

He looks at his left hand. The same hand he used to promise Seryu that they would fight side by side.

Tatsumi: I was such an idiot... Because of me, Seryu wants revenge on all of them! I should have taken responsibility and spoken out since I was the one who killed sir Ubiquitous and the experiments! That's assuming she would believe it...

He lays head down, still consumed by feelings of guilt and regret.

Tatsumi: I could already see... how depressing this job is.

[At that night; mansion outside the Capital]

Night Raid has been sent on a new mission. The target this time was not a civilian request, but a direct order from the Revolutionary Army. The targets were the Kobore brothers, Honest's subordinates who did whatever atrocities they wanted.

At the moment, Tatsumi and Leone were running through the halls, infiltrating the mansion to find targets.

They hide behind the wall of a room when they hear voices. They peek their heads lightly through the entrance and see said brothers chatting away, with several drinks nearby.

The two sneak in, and kill the Kobores in the back. Leone breaks one's neck and Tatsumi pierces the other's heart with the sword.

Their work done, they leave the room; Leone in front and Tatsumi following.

???: Daddy? - Tatsumi freezes when he hears a child's voice.

A small dark-haired boy entered the room through another door. Given the way he was rubbing his eyes, he looked like he'd just woken up.