Chapter 38: Night Raid vs Jaegers

The Jaegers were taking a moment to rest before splitting up to hunt down Night Raid.

Esdeath was sitting on a chair, using a piece of ice to sharpen her rapier in a serene and elegant manner. Wave was near a fountain, looking at the Grand Chariot's cleaver, seeming to be thinking hard. Seryu was feeding her dog a crepe. Kurome was feasting on cookies, eager to face her onee-san. Run was reading a book that everyone wondered where he had been keeping until that moment. Bols was looking at the map, thinking about his future confrontation with the revolutionary assassins.

Atsuko was a little away from her sister, covering her hand with her mouth as she thought.

Atsuko: This may be my last chance to talk to one of them. — She thought, looking at her subordinates. — Seryu and Kurome have practically tied their minds and loyalties to the Empire, nothing I say will make them change their minds for now. Run seems to have good moral principles, but he's never given any indication of wanting to leave here. Wave is a good guy, he doesn't seem to agree with everything we do, but something seems to keep him tied to this place.

That's when the woman's eyes turn to Bols.

Atsuko: Bols... He's probably my best bet right now.

Finally making up her mind, Atsuko walks over to the father of family.

Atsuko: Bols, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to have a private conversation with you.

Bols: Of course, captain. — He says, putting the map he saw in his pants pocket — What do you want to talk about?

Atsuko: Not here. I'd like to talk where others can't hear us.

Bols: Uh... Yes, ma'am.

With that, they both go to a nearby alley. Bols patiently looks at his vice-captain, who has her back to him, her hands clasped behind her back.

Bols: So, captain, what did you want?

Atsuko: Bols, answer me honestly: Have you ever thought about leaving the Capital with your family... or maybe even fighting alongside the Revolutionary Army? — She asks, taking the man by surprise.

Bols: Are you questioning my loyalty, Captain? Because I would never...

Atsuko: I am not questioning anything, Bols. — She answers, looking at him over her shoulder — Just answer my question. There is no need to be afraid. Regardless of the answer, you will not be punished.

Bols: I... I...

The man clenches his fists tightly, before unclenching his hands and lowering his head slightly.

Bols: *sigh* Yes... that has crossed my mind before... Not exactly fighting for the Revolutionary Army... but I thought about getting my family out of the Capital.

Atsuko: So why didn't you do it? — She asks, turning to face him — I'm sure you've had opportunities before.

Bols: I had... But... during this job, I've seen too much of this place... — He explains, looking at his hands, flashbacks of the lives he took tormenting his mind — ...So the corrupt ones in the Empire said that if I tried to abandon this job, Kije and Logue would suffer the consequences.

The masked man stops for a brief moment to compose himself, before starting to speak again.

Bols: You have no idea how much I would love to escape this life with my family... to escape all the evil I've done... But I simply can not. If I try to run away, they'll go after them... So that's why I must endure this occupation and wait... Until karma arrives.